MMA or Boxing - which do you prefer?

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

MMA or Boxing?

MMA
50%
Boxing
50%

Total votes : 14

Re: MMA or Boxing - which do you prefer?

Postby niko197 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:19 am

gzagee wrote:If Pacquiao vs Mayweather was on the same time as Fedor vs Brock I'd watch Pacman vs Pretty Boy... no contest for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching UFC, Strikeforce and the other organisation that's shown on Extreme Sports but, they don't quite have the joie de vivre that a mega fight in boxing has.
Until that changes boxing as a spectacle will have the upper hand for the majority of folk.
But once MMA or more to the point UFC, becomes a truly global sport then Boxing will be under threat. And I think it needs to be. There are too many bum fights in boxing these days. Only a handful of marquee fighters you'd want to see. If they don't get their act together then...

Finally, it boils down to money. So long as the major cash is piled into Boxing that's where most fighters would prefer to be. If and once UFC starts to see a major input of prize money and that means the mega-million dollar fights that's when the playing field will change.

:clap:
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby undapresha » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:01 pm

It is interesting to hear your views on this topic, so thanks for your input.

I personally find boxing more entertaining. There is just something so inimitable in relation to aura surrounding the big fights. The build up, the tension, the hype and so forth are qualities that you do not find anywhere else. As Fordy mentioned earlier, the toe-to-toe aspect is also very appealing, as the Maidana-Ortiz fight illustrated.

I can see why people enjoy MMA though, as it has a number of different dimensions associated it which could make it quite interesting, not only to view but also in terms of how fighters stack up against each other. It just doesn't carry the same level of attraction to me individually. Each to their own I suppose.
undapresha
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby gooneritis » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:49 pm

the past 18 months ufc has gained more PPV sales as well as on the gate ticket sales than boxing.
it's officially taken over as americas number 1 fight sport.

boxing is paying for years of protecting good fighters. ufc jumped in and threw the best v the best, every event, every time. boxing has responded hence we're seing some great boxing cards. but you can't help think that is a delayed reaction, they let mma take over, they gave no respect ot challengers to their fight sport supremacy and got sloppy.

one thing the ufc does, it puts on a major event EVERY event, that's something most boxing event's do not do.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:52 pm

I like both. I'm more into MMA now days cause boxing seems to have lost a lot of great fighters, and has hardly any good heavy weights these days.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jameel46 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Boxing. MMA may be more dangerous but it seems as if it's mainly two guys rolling around on the mat, lol. Boxing is the ultimate Man v. Man contest but I can understand the attraction people have to MMA.
Jameel46

Postby gooneritis » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Jameel46 wrote:Boxing. MMA may be more dangerous but it seems as if it's mainly two guys rolling around on the mat, lol. Boxing is the ultimate Man v. Man contest but I can understand the attraction people have to MMA.

what, you mean two sweaty blokes in tight shorts rolling around on each other isn't manly :rofll:

i'd say mma is more of the 'ultimate' contest. given it requires all the skills as opposed to punching.
i do like boxing, but love mma.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fordy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:50 pm

I think the problem MMA will have in over taking boxing is the fact you need to have at least a little knowledge of the sport for it to be enjoyable where as anyone can understand boxing.

Without a little knowledge quite a lot of MMA fights do just look like 2 guys rolling around on the floor doing very little butt cuddle where has any numpty can understand what’s going on at all times in boxing.

So I think boxing will always have the wider appeal around the world.

Plus if you was to set up a contest all the best MMA fighters take All the best boxers , 1 MMA fight then 1 Boxing match more boxers world come out on top.

I think all the boxers would win their boxing matches and a couple would beat the MMA guys at their own game.
Fordy

Postby undapresha » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:45 pm

Fordy wrote:I think the problem MMA will have in over taking boxing is the fact you need to have at least a little knowledge of the sport for it to be enjoyable where as anyone can understand boxing.

Without a little knowledge quite a lot of MMA fights do just look like 2 guys rolling around on the floor doing very little butt cuddle where has any numpty can understand what’s going on at all times in boxing.

Plus if you was to set up a contest all the best MMA fighters take All the best boxers , 1 MMA fight then 1 Boxing match more boxers world come out on top.

I think all the boxers would win their boxing matches and a couple would beat the MMA guys at their own game.

I know what you're saying. The first time I saw MMA I was wondering what the hell was going on. It looked like two camp men in bike shorts were performing questionable acts on each other :lol:

It isn't a sport you can just watch and enjoy, at least in some sense. With boxing, the object is simple and readily apparent, even if you don't have an intricate knowledge of how to set up your punches etc.
undapresha
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby gooneritis » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:24 am

Fordy wrote:I think the problem MMA will have in over taking boxing is the fact you need to have at least a little knowledge of the sport for it to be enjoyable where as anyone can understand boxing.

hmm, i get what you're saying about mma v boxing matches, but i think it's too impossible to really judge. the nature of mma would give boxers a greater chance in an mma bout than mma guys would in a boxing match, because in the mma fights the boxers always have that knockout chance, a punchers chance so to speak. whereas a boxing match is very one dimensional, hence negating the extra skills the mma guys possess. boxing has a big part to play in mixed martial arts, hence boxers always have a bit of a chance.

that to me actually is a compliment to mma, not a criticism. it shows the wide variety of skills involved giving everyone a chance, boxing is too one dimensional in relation.
having said that, plenty of mma guys boxed at a high level - gray maynard and stephan bonnar were both golden glove boxers, so i'm sure quite a few mma guys would do well in just a boxing match.

however most pure boxers have always struggled in mma fights, the stance, movement, ring/cage control are all completely different to what they are in boxing. it's alot harder than just going in there and banging.
i can't think of a boxer who's come to mma and had a real impact.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fordy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:40 am

gooneritis wrote:

hmm, i get what you're saying about mma v boxing matches, but i think it's too impossible to really judge. the nature of mma would give boxers a greater chance in an mma bout than mma guys would in a boxing match, because in the mma fights the boxers always have that knockout chance, a punchers chance so to speak. whereas a boxing match is very one dimensional, hence negating the extra skills the mma guys possess. boxing has a big part to play in mixed martial arts, hence boxers always have a bit of a chance.

that to me actually is a compliment to mma, not a criticism. it shows the wide variety of skills involved giving everyone a chance, boxing is too one dimensional in relation.
having said that, plenty of mma guys boxed at a high level - gray maynard and stephan bonnar were both golden glove boxers, so i'm sure quite a few mma guys would do well in just a boxing match.

however most pure boxers have always struggled in mma fights, the stance, movement, ring/cage control are all completely different to what they are in boxing. it's alot harder than just going in there and banging.

I understand your point mate and agree with it but as you say the boxers in the a MMA match would only need a couple of clear shots to have a chance of a knockout blow where as I think the MMA fighter would struggle to last 12 round boxing matches with dropping their guard to often.

What do you think about what I said about it been hard for MMA to take over boxing due to it not been understood by some people so they don't know what is really happening when they are on the floor.
Fordy

Postby gooneritis » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:25 am

Fordy wrote:
gooneritis wrote:

I understand your point mate and agree with it but as you say the boxers in the a MMA match would only need a couple of clear shots to have a chance of a knockout blow where as I think the MMA fighter would struggle to last 12 round boxing matches with dropping their guard to often.

What do you think about what I said about it been hard for MMA to take over boxing due to it not been understood by some people so they don't know what is really happening when they are on the floor.

i agree with you about the lack of understanding. people do right off the ground work as boring simply because they can't understand it. which will hinder it from really taking over the mainstream. boxing is far easier to understand.
hopefully as mma continues to grow and become more mainstream people will pick up the basic skills involved in ground work. but yes, it does take more knowledge to appreciate than boxing.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby niko197 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 am

i watched few matches in K1 with thai boxers and regular boxers. they all lasted 1 minute together, thai boxers just had to kick boxers in their tiny legs and they were falling on the head!!
it was realy sad to see, so i don't think many boxers would win K1 or MMA fight, but they will all win in boxing match.
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby djaxster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 am

ChVint22 wrote:I like both. I'm more into MMA now days cause boxing seems to have lost a lot of great fighters, and has hardly any good heavy weights these days.

:clap: totally agree again( i dont fancy you CHV honest)
Where are all the good heavyweights and middle weights gone. Ever since i was a kid there has always been great fighters at these weights and not just one but many fighting for belts..
Even in England we have had the great era of Eubank. Benn,Watson and collins. We have had some grat heavyweights but since Lewis retired no one.. Mat Skelton done nuffink as did that other one can't remember his name but he was a gooner...
At the moment we only have 2 boxers fighting that Joe Public would recognise and thats Hatton and Khan....
One thing that i think spoils boxing is too many belts per weight as this causes some holders not to fight eachother where as UFC will put the best two up together..
Also there are more characters in MMA just look at tghe way Bisping and Lesnar got booed at UFC100 .

Boxing may be just holding on to their shorts at the mo but turn on a sports channel and see how they show more MMA than boxing..
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fordy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 am

I agree about the heavy weights been poor and boxing needs at least 2 good ones to come from somewhere because the sport is suffering without the big guns at the minute.
Fordy

Postby djaxster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:32 am

MMA cs Boxers fights i have always seen the MMA guys win that Fordy.
Theres one with Tim Witherspoon (i think it was him or it was Trevor Birbeck) at the K1 vs a kickboxer and all the kickboxer do was kick him continuosly in the legs and the boxer got pissed off and complaing to the ref. In the end the boxer walked out of the fight and was booed and had bottles etc thrown at him..
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports