Golf Tips Please!

Talk about all the other sports that interest you here.

Re: Golf Tips Please!

Postby Mazinho17 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 am

Yeah a 5 or 7 iron are pretty good clubs to get the hang of. A bit more forgiving than the others. I'd say don't try using a driver at all just tee off with a 4 or 5 iron and you should be in business.
Mazinho17
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gzagee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:57 am

Well, I got on the Driving Range yesterday with me cousin. Was intending to do a 9-hole but the way we were teeing we decided to continue in the range.
Started with a 7-iron, changed to a pitching wedge, promptly got a few blisters and went back to the 7.
However, I later went with a Driver and i found although i didn't hit shots as much, when i did it was pure and true.
We going back Saturday morning to hit another 50 and then maybe if we get better do the 'pitch & putt'.
I can see why golf's addictive.
But man! I've got blisters on my blisters!
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm

gzagee wrote:Well, I got on the Driving Range yesterday with me cousin. Was intending to do a 9-hole but the way we were teeing we decided to continue in the range.
Started with a 7-iron, changed to a pitching wedge, promptly got a few blisters and went back to the 7.
However, I later went with a Driver and i found although i didn't hit shots as much, when i did it was pure and true.
We going back Saturday morning to hit another 50 and then maybe if we get better do the 'pitch & putt'.

You need a glove man. If you swing right handed then wear a glove on your left hand and vice versa.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:07 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
gzagee wrote:Well, I got on the Driving Range yesterday with me cousin. Was intending to do a 9-hole but the way we were teeing we decided to continue in the range.

You need a glove man. If you swing right handed then wear a glove on your left hand and vice versa.

Yeah, I bought a left hander yesterday. I think I'll get the right hand too. Got blisters on that as well.
Got some golf balls for £4.49 and a set of tees.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Libertine » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:19 pm

gzagee wrote:But man! I've got blisters on my blisters!

you tart! ;)
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Libertine wrote:
gzagee wrote:But man! I've got blisters on my blisters!

you tart! ;)

Guilty as charged your honour... :redface:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby TheLittleMozart » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Surley you've seen happy gilmore mate?...

'Its all in the hips'... 'Just taaaap it in' :D
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:07 am

Which golf clubs do y'all use and why?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:45 am

is it a posh bastards course? or a public course?

up here you can wear anything on public courses, not footy tops though

posh course, you will be forced to llok like a t**t and have to dress accordingly

tip: lets be honest you are gonna 99.9% shite if its your first go so...

a) dont take it 2 serious
b) dont try to hard
c)dont try and hit the ball as hard as you can, take it easy and just make sure you got it in a straightish line(for the first few holes anyway) then maybe if you start to get the feel, unleash a few bombs down the fairway

you never know you might be a genuis with the putter, its pretty instinctive so you could be an instant tiger on the green
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby gzagee » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Just got back from another sesh.

Went over to my (nearly) local driving range this morning and it was packed. Decided to go to one in Wimbledon Common, they insist upon you wearing red sweaters as it's club colours, but when they saw two darkies mosey on over there they told us they didn't have a driving range.
So we rolled on to New Malden and found the poshest of old boy courses. Didn't even bother...
Finally found another driving range in the area. Two storey driving range!
Technique is slowly getting better.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gouldinho » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:44 pm

Tap L1 to get more power
IT WAS CESC FABREGAS INSPIRED
gouldinho
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby golfinguy » Sun May 03, 2009 1:39 am

Never played before eh? Well, you're fooked! But once you get over that, it can be fun ;)

Blisters? Stop gripping the club like its trying to get away from you. Be gentle, its not going to run from you. Golf is a game of opposites - down is up, relaxed is powerful, left is right.

Down is up: Do not try to lift the ball into the air - hit down on it and let the club do the rest. Trying to lift the ball into the air results in hitting the ground before the ball and laying the turf over it, or striking the ball with the leading edge of the club killing gophers and field mice in its path.

Relaxed is powerful: Don't try to HIT the ball - SWING the club. The centripetal force of the swinging club is more than enough to put that ball into orbit, don't think you have to muscle it out there. Relaxed muscles are more consistent, and faster. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Left is right: This may be more of a US problem with all us boys growing up playing baseball - but, if you try to pull that ball left (if you're slicing - provided you're a righty) - it will only go further right. The ball gets left or right spin from a clubface that is open or closed to its path at impact. A square clubface is generated by square shoulders and hands - once you get those shoulders open, you'll cut across the ball and aerodynamics take over from there. And of course - the opposite of all this is true as well - right is left.

In order to make consistent contact you need to maintain your posture through impact. If you're bobbing up and down - you're going to have a hell of a time returning the club to the position you want consistently. Keep that spine angle still and turn - don't sway.

There's a thousand other things that could be said, but without knowing your problems or seeing your swing - its a crap shoot.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cheese » Fri May 08, 2009 2:23 pm

I've just taken up Golf with my step-dad. It's a great way of forgetting you troubles and worries just walking the green and hitting a few balls.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Fri May 08, 2009 2:25 pm

gzagee wrote:Just got back from another sesh.

Went over to my (nearly) local driving range this morning and it was packed. Decided to go to one in Wimbledon Common, they insist upon you wearing red sweaters as it's club colours, but when they saw two darkies mosey on over there they told us they didn't have a driving range.
So we rolled on to New Malden and found the poshest of old boy courses. Didn't even bother...
Finally found another driving range in the area. Two storey driving range!
Technique is slowly getting better.

I use the range on the A3 near Richmond.
My step-dad had a round of golf at Wimbledon common today.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby djaxster » Fri May 08, 2009 2:32 pm

best way get some beers and a bag of green and play Tiger Woods for the playstation...Better laugh and you ain't go to do all that walking...If you play at Swanley let me know i am just down the road and i v=can meet you at the 19th hole( my favourite hole)
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports