Aaron Ramsey

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: "I want to play in the middle'' -Aaron Ramsey

Postby starmandb » Sun May 24, 2015 12:50 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Apollo wrote:Im not sure of your point?

All you posted is Vieira talking about why he was leaving, when he was leaving.

You said players that are captain material shouldn't air the club's laundry in public. Well Vieira basically took a shit on the entire club questioning our ambition and said we were a joke compared to other European teams - I think that is significantly more inappropriate than expressing concern over one's playing position - and he was made captain after this and became one of our all time great's.

My point is Ramsey's playing position gripe is minor in comparison and doesn't mean he isn't captain material.

Indeed the season after vieira said this we did the double vieira stayed another 4 years
It was put up or shut up time after losing the fa cup final to liverpool and 3 years of being the nearly men
Fair to say we put up
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Zedie » Sun May 24, 2015 2:03 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Apollo wrote:Taking this as a legit interview, this is why this Kid isnt Captain material.

You sort of issues like this in house, leaders don't air their dirty laundry.We all know you'd prefer to not play on the wing, you don't resolve your issues with the newspapers.

"People should know this is nothing to do with money. I need to leave because I want to win more trophies and I just cannot see that happening at Arsenal. Certainly not over the next few years, anyway.

"Comparing Arsenal to the big clubs in Europe this season is going to be quite ridiculous," he added.

"I do not honestly see Arsenal finishing in the top five in the league - and you can forget the Champions League."
"When I told Arsene Wenger I was leaving, he said to me 'I have £25m to spend on a few players'. My answer was 'Obviously, Mr Wenger, you are not shopping in Harrods. That will only buy you one good player.' Now I have been proved right.

"Arsene Wenger has signed two 'hopeful' players who haven't proved themselves in the Premiership yet. One of them is a boy of 20.

"You can't compete with the best clubs in Europe by making these kind of signings.

"Arsene Wenger is an ambitious manager and he knows deep in his heart that he needs five world-class players to compete among the best in Europe.

"With £25m in the kitty, Arsenal is not a great European club. With that budget they won't even be among the top 20 clubs in Europe."

- Patrick Vieira, Arsenal captain and legend

http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... ory.sport2

Wow. Never saw this at the time.

Fasty little c***. He forgot where he came from, scraping for game time in the Milan reserves.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun May 24, 2015 6:27 am

Re: Vieira

I'm surprised many aren't aware of this.

Vieira tried to push for a move almost every season before the Invincibles - including after we won the Double in 2002. There were talks of him going to Manchester United ffs. He pushed for it, but unlike now - Wenger wouldn't budge. Also, Madrid wanted Vieira as much as they wanted Wenger at that time. Wenger didn't leave and didn't allow Vieira to leave. It helped that Henry and Pires were big influences too.

Vieira's constant moaning is the reason why Wenger dumped him as soon as he started declining. I don't agree with that, but I can see why Wenger was so frustrated.

This is also one of the reasons why Henry and Pires are as much part of Arsenal today, but Vieira isn't spoken about in the same breath. As a player, Vieira is one of the greatest we've had, but I certainly wouldn't put him above Berggy, Pires, and Henry as personalities. These three are the best players we've had in Wenger's era.

I think people ignore that we waltzed to the CL Final with ease even after Vieira left. It was only after Pires and Berggy that we started struggling.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 24, 2015 9:40 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Apollo wrote:Taking this as a legit interview, this is why this Kid isnt Captain material.

You sort of issues like this in house, leaders don't air their dirty laundry.We all know you'd prefer to not play on the wing, you don't resolve your issues with the newspapers.

"People should know this is nothing to do with money. I need to leave because I want to win more trophies and I just cannot see that happening at Arsenal. Certainly not over the next few years, anyway.

"Comparing Arsenal to the big clubs in Europe this season is going to be quite ridiculous," he added.

"I do not honestly see Arsenal finishing in the top five in the league - and you can forget the Champions League."
"When I told Arsene Wenger I was leaving, he said to me 'I have £25m to spend on a few players'. My answer was 'Obviously, Mr Wenger, you are not shopping in Harrods. That will only buy you one good player.' Now I have been proved right.

"Arsene Wenger has signed two 'hopeful' players who haven't proved themselves in the Premiership yet. One of them is a boy of 20.

"You can't compete with the best clubs in Europe by making these kind of signings.

"Arsene Wenger is an ambitious manager and he knows deep in his heart that he needs five world-class players to compete among the best in Europe.

"With £25m in the kitty, Arsenal is not a great European club. With that budget they won't even be among the top 20 clubs in Europe."

- Patrick Vieira, Arsenal captain and legend

http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... ory.sport2

Wasn't that 'boy of 20' Robin van Persie?

Quite ironic that Van Persie also eventually left because Wenger didn't match his ambitions in the transfer market!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun May 24, 2015 10:11 am

Angelito wrote:Re: Vieira

I'm surprised many aren't aware of this.

Vieira tried to push for a move almost every season before the Invincibles - including after we won the Double in 2002. There were talks of him going to Manchester United ffs. He pushed for it, but unlike now - Wenger wouldn't budge. Also, Madrid wanted Vieira as much as they wanted Wenger at that time. Wenger didn't leave and didn't allow Vieira to leave. It helped that Henry and Pires were big influences too.

Vieira's constant moaning is the reason why Wenger dumped him as soon as he started declining. I don't agree with that, but I can see why Wenger was so frustrated.

This is also one of the reasons why Henry and Pires are as much part of Arsenal today, but Vieira isn't spoken about in the same breath. As a player, Vieira is one of the greatest we've had, but I certainly wouldn't put him above Berggy, Pires, and Henry as personalities. These three are the best players we've had in Wenger's era.

I think people ignore that we waltzed to the CL Final with ease even after Vieira left. It was only after Pires, Berggy & Titi that we started struggling.

fixed + agree, vieira was a top player on the pitch but generally seems like a bit of a w***er, he still got on with it though and did the business while he was here unlike the players of today would.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby sweggeh » Sun May 24, 2015 7:40 pm

What a player. He can literally rip a team to shreds when he is in the mood. Have no idea how he didn't score today.
sweggeh
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun May 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Love Cazorla but he may be off in the summer. Would be great if he went to a top club like Atletico, he can certainly offer more than a player like Torres. Either way, if he leaves, I would put Ozil in the middle, with Ramsey in a roaming RW/CAM position.

Unless his finishing improves massively.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ESFSAFC » Sun May 24, 2015 9:58 pm

Wouldn't be hugely surprised if we sell Cazorla, Cazorla should not be first choice next season, Ramsey and Coq as CM's with Wilshere on the wing which is more just a free advanced role.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:
Wasn't that 'boy of 20' Robin van Persie?

Quite ironic that Van Persie also eventually left because Wenger didn't match his ambitions in the transfer market!

No these comments were made in 2001, Van Persie signed in 2004.

Think he was talking about Jeffers.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Sun May 24, 2015 10:24 pm

I think I'll kill somebody's dog if we sell Cazorla.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Walcott14 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:51 pm

Angelito wrote:I think I'll kill somebody's dog if we sell Cazorla.

Just don't go for puppy :crybaby:
By Jordan1411 at Deviantart
Walcott14
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Callum » Sun May 24, 2015 11:15 pm

I''ve got a feeling he'll go. Always been talk of him wanting to return to Spain and this might be the last summer we can get money for him. I feel like with Ozil, Rosicky, Ramsey and Wishere wanting to play in a central attacking role as well that something has to give eventually.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby sohi420 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:52 am

Very likely
#WengerOut
sohi420
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fas91 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:20 am

He is our second best passer after Ozil, should be kept atleast as a backup no10.
Fas91
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 25, 2015 2:23 am

Fas91 wrote:He is our second best passer after Ozil, should be kept atleast as a backup no10.

He'd probably rather go home to his native land and play for Atletico than sit on our bench. I think he's off.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football