Wenger Inn...

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Wenger Inn...

Postby Pudpop » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Squad can easily win this league IMO. This squad is much better than Leicester's, no disrespect to what they've achieved. Quite simply, they're over-achieving and we're under-achieving, or Wengering as they say in French
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Leicester have no Europe. Leicester ditched the FA Cup.

Our first XI could've won the league like theirs has basically done. However the added competitions and regularity of our injuries causes the first XI to hardly ever all be present. Hence our overall squad isn't good enough to win it because the backups aren't good enough to be PL challengers.

Then you add the lack of tactical nous and strange decisions by the manager :)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Mesüt wrote:Cool, thanks for the honest answer bro :Peace:

I agree obviously. I just think the 'progression' you mention was a faux progression, we had the chance to show a real step up both of the last two summers and didn't. I can see why after the first FA Cup given the run of form, the trophy duck over and bringing in Sanchez (although we lost a lot of players that summer). It's the follow up to the 2014/15 FA Cup win that irks me more than anything, we made a pretty weak but late attempt to close the gap to Chelsea, grabbed 3rd and retained the FA Cup yet failed to build on it properly and take advantage of the weakest season in the PL for a very long time.
Just disappointed more than anything but no more so than when the window shut in Sept 2015, had a tiny bit of hope for a while and didn't want to just agree with Cuki but felt he was right all along tbh. January doesn't bother me too much, it's always a sh!t window and you can't expect major signings tbh, that's why the summer was so important and we all had many arguments over the lack of signings.

We can still dream about thi season but I think it is beyond this squad and manager's reach.

No problem. I've nothing to hide.

People might look back and say that I was fool for believing we could win the league (and might still call me a fool for thinking it's still possible now), and I'm okay with that, it's just the notion that I'm okay with mediocrity or scared of life without Wenger that irks me a bit because it's not true. When I see someone like Klopp going to Liverpool and the fans being so excited about his arrival I think about what it'll be like when we get a new man in and how it feel. It's going to be a unique feeling but one I'm looking forward to because as much as I admire Wenger and what he's done for the club I'm not oblivious to his flaws and stubbornness either. I'd love to see what another manager can do with this side, and have felt that way for some time, but at the same time I felt we had progressed enough over the past couple of seasons and won two major trophies which made me think Wenger deserved another season. I don't regret that decision as it was how I felt in the summer, but I've always maintained what my expectations were for this season and I won't change them based on how well or badly we do.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:18 pm

I love that avatar Callum, its appropriate for so many reasons.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:39 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:I love that avatar Callum, its appropriate for so many reasons.

lol, how so?

His expression does mirror mine when I'm reading most of the comments on here.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:32 pm

CelticFan1967 wrote:
Nejch wrote:
CelticFan1967 wrote:I didn't want my real first name as my username anymore.

What changed all of a sudden?
And more importantly, what inclined you to change it to a Celtic related username? You're not doing this to annoy posters who called you out for it, right? Because that would make you seem kind of insecure.

It's not to annoy anyone, it's just a bit of fun. I've always been open about being a Celtic fan as well.

I'd been wanting to change my username for some time anyway and it seemed like I might as well change it to this.

You might be right though, I'm too involved in this place. It's not good for me.

But surely it might be better to use an Arsenal related username rather than that of a team from a foreign nation. ;)
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 pm

CelticFan1967 wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:I love that avatar Callum, its appropriate for so many reasons.

lol, how so?

Well to start with its appropriate for the current state of this club.

Second is your reaction to posts and constantly having to defend yourself.

And lastly it seems the perfect image to accompany any arguing over the internet.

I love it
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
CelticFan1967 wrote:

lol, how so?

Well to start with its appropriate for the current state of this club.

Second is your reaction to posts and constantly having to defend yourself.

And lastly it seems the perfect image to accompany any arguing over the internet.

I love it

Good points.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:47 am

League's not gone yet, but it's slipping away. City's got Spurs next week and we have Leicester. Top-4 blockbuster clashes basically.

Ideal would be City and Spurs drop points and we beat Leicester. 2 points behind Leicester would be pretty good. But then again, we barely score these days, do we?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wenger Inn...

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:10 pm

Just to say, even if we beat Bournemouth today and Afobe doesn't score Wenger still hasn't done his job properly.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Just to say, even if we beat Bournemouth today and Afobe doesn't score Wenger still hasn't done his job properly.

The usual suspects will still chirp in with their drivel
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:54 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:Just to say, even if we beat Bournemouth today and Afobe doesn't score Wenger still hasn't done his job properly.

The usual suspects will still chirp in with their drivel

True to form, tbh

So predictable they are
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:28 pm

Say it quietly but got his subs spot on today. Walcott and Welbeck won us the game.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Massive three points. When he doesn't get the result he deserves to be criticized and when he does get them like today in a big game he deserves the credit.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Massive three points. When he doesn't get the result he deserves to be criticized and when he does get them like today in a big game he deserves the credit.

Was spot on with his subsitutions as well. Taking off a booked and uninspired looking Coquelin was the right call, as well as the timing of his other substitutions. Breaking down a Leicester side, especially if you're already a goal down is not an easy task. Playing 10 v 11 against an organised side like Leicester isn't anywhere near as easy at it might look on paper.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk