The leaked 2013/14 kits thread

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The leaked 2013/14 kits thread

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 pm

yosifun wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:
yosifun wrote:I liked the old crest as much as every gooner, but people need to get over it. Many clubs have modernized their crests, our crest is very elegant and not that bad IMO.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Other clubs have modernised theirs properly. Newcastle, Liverpool, Madrid come to mind. They look nice, kept the same general design and didn't simplify them unnecessarily

Ours is a fisher price my first football badge. Even worse is the material they use on them. What is that, felt?

They have modified the old crest several times before, the reason they couldn't keep the same general design is copyright issues, that is why they HAD to come up with something new.

They didn't HAVE to. They did it to stop people selling unofficial merchandise outside Highbury. A very small revenue stream in the grand scheme of things but one that clearly got up the club's nose. Which by the way would have ended after moving grounds anyway. There was no need to, the crest doesn't need to be copyrighted and if they absolutely insisted they could have come up with a hundred better designs.

Copyrighting it doesn't stop the counterfeit products elsewhere at all. In fact it's such a cheap looking badge it's probably easily replicable
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:13 pm

greengoonerie wrote:
yosifun wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:
yosifun wrote:I liked the old crest as much as every gooner, but people need to get over it. Many clubs have modernized their crests, our crest is very elegant and not that bad IMO.

Other clubs have modernised theirs properly. Newcastle, Liverpool, Madrid come to mind. They look nice, kept the same general design and didn't simplify them unnecessarily

Ours is a fisher price my first football badge. Even worse is the material they use on them. What is that, felt?

They have modified the old crest several times before, the reason they couldn't keep the same general design is copyright issues, that is why they HAD to come up with something new.

The Arsenal crest has been modified 6 times in 125 years.

3 of those modifications have taken place since 2001, including the most recent one last season, in a pathetic marketing effort to sell that Marseille style shirt.

I don't agree that they HAD to come up with something new at all.

Up until to the redesign of the "classic" crest in 2001, when the "Designed by Playskool 4 year olds" Crest was introduced, I never heard ANY Fan, group of fans, supporter, player, manager, coach or even board member suggest that the crest needed scrapping/changing/updating. None. In 35 years of supporting Arsenal.

What appears to me is that the HAD to come up with something new to make as much money as possible for Arsenal PLC as the old crest was not subject to copyright. Change for profits sake, rather than for anything else.

The latest crest has the word "Forward" on it. (Some might call that ironic....)

Victoria Concordia Crescit for me every time......

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... enal-crest

The crest has changed far far more than 6 times. Even your source lists it as more than that, even though it's wrong.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Lee71*98*02 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:20 pm

The latest crest doesnt have forward on it.. that was last season's anniversary crest... A lot of fans didnt like it in 1990 when the club put the full crest on the shirt in place of the cannon. You cant really have a go at the club for using a different crest in our 125th year. Its the club's anniversary!

Since 1927 (the cup final being the first time a crest featured on a shirt) our shirts have used 12 different crests. And im not counting when they used to change the date on the 1930's 'AFC' crest. Or the cup final cannons of 71,72,78,79 & 80, or even the centenary embroidery in 1986.
Lee71*98*02
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby greengoonerie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Lee71*98*02 wrote:The latest crest doesnt have forward on it.. that was last season's anniversary crest... A lot of fans didnt like it in 1990 when the club put the full crest on the shirt in place of the cannon. You cant really have a go at the club for using a different crest in our 125th year. Its the club's anniversary!

Since 1927 (the cup final being the first time a crest featured on a shirt) our shirts have used 12 different crests. And im not counting when they used to change the date on the 1930's 'AFC' crest. Or the cup final cannons of 71,72,78,79 & 80, or even the centenary embroidery in 1986.

Thanks for that Lee.The "official" story of the crest is in the link I posted above. From Arsenal.com

However, why have Arsenal not mentioned those "one off" cup final cannons when they're happy to mention teh "one off" 125th anniversary crest.

Did Arsenal change their crest for the 100th Anniversary? I don't recall that they did. Tradition and all that.

According to the official story, the crest has changed 6 times, (7 if you include the 125th anniversary crest)

It's a pity that Arsenal are incapable of telling their fans the entire story about the Arsenal crest and begs the question - if they can't tell us about the Crest, then what else are they incapable of telling us about?!
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Lee71*98*02 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:05 pm

greengoonerie wrote:
Lee71*98*02 wrote:The latest crest doesnt have forward on it.. that was last season's anniversary crest... A lot of fans didnt like it in 1990 when the club put the full crest on the shirt in place of the cannon. You cant really have a go at the club for using a different crest in our 125th year. Its the club's anniversary!

Thanks for that Lee.The "official" story of the crest is in the link I posted above. From Arsenal.com

However, why have Arsenal not mentioned those "one off" cup final cannons when they're happy to mention teh "one off" 125th anniversary crest.

Did Arsenal change their crest for the 100th Anniversary? I don't recall that they did. Tradition and all that.

According to the official story, the crest has changed 6 times, (7 if you include the 125th anniversary crest)

It's a pity that Arsenal are incapable of telling their fans the entire story about the Arsenal crest and begs the question - if they can't tell us about the Crest, then what else are they incapable of telling us about?!

They just added curved text above and below the cannon for the 100th year. It had ''centenary year'' above the cannon and the year below it.

Arsenal.com have missed out a few! I think they are talking about the club crest itself though. Not whats been on the shirts? none of our pre 1927 crests appeared on shirts. and even then they were only on shirts for cup finals. It wasnt until 1967 that the crest (well actually just a cannon) was featured on the shirt permanently. The full VCC crest didnt appear on shirts until 1990 (when it was 41 years old!)
Lee71*98*02
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Well let's work out how many times it has changed

1st. Woolwich crest with the cannons pointing up
2nd. the cartoonish cannon
3rd. The Art Deco crest
4th The traditional white cannon
5th the traditional white cannon w/AFC cannonballs
6th the White VCC crest
7th the the red/black VCC crest
8th the red VCC crest
9th the red/green VCC crest
10th the current crest
11th the 125th anniversary crest

Now I know some of those might be in the wrong order but it just shows how much the crest has changed over times. The reason why the club couldn't copyright the VCC one (despite having a trademark on it) was because it had changed so much, they couldn't work out when what bit was created when. I'd like to think that this means that unofficial merch or protest shirts could use the VCC crest without fear of legal action as I think it was much better than what we have at the moment.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Lee71*98*02 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm

These are the 12 i counted that have been on shirts. Not counting the cannons with cup final or centenary embroidery. Or when the cannons where blue and the VCC crest was red on away shirts.

The top four are from the 1927, 1930, 1932 & 1936 Fa Cup finals.

These all pre-date the shirt crests..

Lee71*98*02
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Maxduke » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm

My favourite is either just the plain cannon or last years.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GSK_AFC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Plain cannon ftw.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 pm

3rd VCC without the blue and gold border
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Maxduke wrote:My favourite is either just the plain cannon or last years.

GSK_AFC wrote:Plain cannon ftw.

²
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Lee71*98*02 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Im suprised they havent used a plain modern cannon yet! looks quite smart!

on a shirt..

Lee71*98*02
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Give me The Gunners VCC crest or the old cannon and cannonballs over the current one any day. But I will be honest, I think Pudpo's avatar is better as it had the best of the VCC and the 125th anniversary crest.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby lexalove » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Heay pudpop... do you have a large version (pixel wise) of your avatar? I wouldn't mind getting it made into a embroidered badge and having it put on a shirt.
Let's Make Arsenal Great Again!

#CrookedKroenkeOut - #LyingGazidisOut - #CrazyWengerOut
lexalove
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 pm

lexalove wrote:Heay pudpop... do you have a large version (pixel wise) of your avatar? I wouldn't mind getting it made into a embroidered badge and having it put on a shirt.

I know I have seen someone wearing something like that at a game.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk