wearethehurd

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: wearethehurd

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:00 pm

SE13 wrote:And as I've said countless times, I was never firm, I was a part of the terrace culture that came with it.

EIE is not a "call to arms" at all.

I'm sure the majority have chanted "Ooh to, ooh to be, ooh to be a ... Gooner"

And better still, how many have chanted "She wore..." in the past?

There's as much as you need to know in among that lot!

It's like a secret soeiety :hiding:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Ok ok, are you ready for a history lesson? Then I shall begin.

A long time ago, Arsenal were playing ManUre, and a picnic/coffee/snack event was set up between the two sets of supporters on Oxford Road (if you know Manchester at all) Arsenal lads got there first, this was going back to the days of "football specials" where trains went non stop from city to city without stopping, so they were about half an hour earlier than expected. The Arsenal lads had laid out their share of the spoils, and boredom set in. Tarquin decided he was too hungry, and piled into the cream cakes and was shovelling another into his mouth when the ManUre lads turned up. Someone said something along the lines of "Who's eaten all that" to which Tarquin replied "everything I eat" - There was a stand off for a few minutes, and somewhere in those few minutes, everything I eat was shortened to EIE, and it's stuck with the lads ever since as a lasting reminder of the day. As far as I'm aware, everything did get eaten, sandwiches et al.

The herd comes from those days mentioned of the football specials, and the way the OB herded the crowds from the train station into the pens (as they were known) As in herded like cattle, and believe me, we were!

I'm sure everyone knows the origin of "Gooner" and also the "ooh to be" chant.

There you go, no secret society. The only thing I can't tell you is the date at which EIE happened because I don't know myself, it's been around for as many years as I can remember, so probably mid to late 70's.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby JordanTheGunner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Help me out, what is the origin of gooner and the ooh to be a gooner song?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Sorry, should have made it a bit clearer - Tarquin was an Israeli who spoke with "broken" English, hence "everything I eat" not "I ate everything"

He still goes to games even these days.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:37 pm

JordanTheGunner wrote:Help me out, what is the origin of gooner and the ooh to be a gooner song?

This is from the handbook in The Herd starter pack (Bargain this year, only £15)

The term Gooner comes from "Gunner" and was bestowed upon us by our near neighbours from the up the Seven Sisters. The term stuck, and became widespread throughout the old division 1, latterly handed down to the Herdsmen "Here come the Gooners"

------

Those that hadn't paid their subscription (It's called the Herd starter pack these days) weren't allowed to be in the firm, so if anything kicked off on the terraces, the chant "Ooh to be" was used by those that weren't "in" and it's still used 40 odd years later.

Anything else while I'm in such a generous mood?

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby shamrock11 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:04 pm

SE13 wrote:
JordanTheGunner wrote:Help me out, what is the origin of gooner and the ooh to be a gooner song?

This is from the handbook in The Herd starter pack (Bargain this year, only £15)

The term Gooner comes from "Gunner" and was bestowed upon us by our near neighbours from the up the Seven Sisters. The term stuck, and became widespread throughout the old division 1, latterly handed down to the Herdsmen "Here come the Gooners"

------

Those that hadn't paid their subscription (It's called the Herd starter pack these days) weren't allowed to be in the firm, so if anything kicked off on the terraces, the chant "Ooh to be" was used by those that weren't "in" and it's still used 40 odd years later.

Anything else while I'm in such a generous mood?

How old are you? that sounds like stuff of the 60's.Not taking a dig but seriously
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Haha, this stuff is funny.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:09 pm

shamrock11 wrote:How old are you? that sounds like stuff of the 60's.Not taking a dig but seriously

Well, I was born in the 60's.

The main "firm era" was mid 70's to the late 80's but it did go on decades before, and still goes on now.

I've had a PM asking me to point out that the Herd starter pack is the same price as last year, so I've done that - And whichever way you slice it, it's a bargain because it contains the black scarf, and they are selling at a brown beer token.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby shamrock11 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 pm

SE13 wrote:
shamrock11 wrote:How old are you? that sounds like stuff of the 60's.Not taking a dig but seriously

The main "firm era" was mid 70's to the late 80's but it did go on decades before, and still goes on now.

I've had a PM asking me to point out that the Herd starter pack is the same price as last year, so I've done that - And whichever way you slice it, it's a bargain because it contains the black scarf, and they are selling at a brown beer token.

Interesting stuff,I though 'Green Street' was bad,it must have been horrific stuff
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby JordanTheGunner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 pm

It still goes on now :dizzy: must be very discreet, I've never seen anything like that.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Thank you sir! I'll make some notes ;)

I've actually heard the EIE story before but figured that I was just being fobbed off with a silly story :lol:

I don't know what I was expecting but I suppose it makes sense... basically it's just an in-house joke.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:21 pm

shamrock11 wrote:
SE13 wrote:

Interesting stuff,I though 'Green Street' was bad,it must have been horrific stuff

Green Street is a glorified version of things - Bits of it are true, but quite a bit is to create a bigger drama (for want of a better word)

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:23 pm

JordanTheGunner wrote:It still goes on now :dizzy: must be very discreet, I've never seen anything like that.

Depends if you know where to look.

It's mainly away from the games these days, but you only have to look back to the clash between Wet Spam and Wall a short while ago.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:16 pm

SE13 wrote:
shamrock11 wrote:
SE13 wrote:

Green Street is a glorified version of things - Bits of it are true, but quite a bit is to create a bigger drama (for want of a better word)

hobbits make shite hooligans anyway
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:17 pm

:rofll:

I was just a calf when I first learned about all that.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee