First openly gay cricketer.

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

First openly gay cricketer.

Postby Libertine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 am

The England wicket-keeper Steven Davies has become the first cricketer to 'come out'.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... keter.html

The Welsh rugby international Gareth Thomas revealed he was gay a couple of years ago.
I believe a film about him is being made with Mickey Rourke playing Thomas.

Will a top level footballer every openly admit to being homosexual?
Would it be treated with a "so what?" shrug of the shoulders by football supporters, as it has been by cricket and rugby fans?
In a radio debate a couple of years back (when Thomas came out) Ian Wright said that he once played in a team with 4 gay players in it, although he wouldn't divulge which team, so it doesn't appear to be an issue amongst the players.

Justin Fashanu revealed he was gay years back but only after his career had finished.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: First openly gay cricketer.

Postby Trina » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:01 pm

I read this this morning, it hasnt been treated as a so what in rugby, not sure about cricket. Cas have got fined if I remember right for abuse over a gay player.

I think its wrong that a player from any sport is too afraid to come out and say they are gay. Times have changed, but unfortunatly guys haven't and most give shit to other blokes who are gay.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Van The Man Persie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:02 pm

If it happened in football, you can bet your life the opposing crowd will have a field day.

Players wont give a toss.
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Libertine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Trina wrote:It hasnt been treated as a so what in rugby. Cas have got fined if I remember right for abuse over a gay player.

Fair enough luv.
Read an interview Thomas gave a while back and he said he'd been suprised by how well the rugby fans had taken the news.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Maxduke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:10 pm

They'd get slaughtered by the fans in my opinion.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:17 pm

We all know there are gay players out there, statistically it'd be almost impossible not to have some. We suspected many over the years, only Fashanu (who was the last player I expected to) came out.

One is a pundit these days, another had a flirt with management and also now does punditry, and several more besides.

I presume the main reason they don't say anything is due to the nature of supporters, particularly back in the terrace era, remember the stick Tommy Docherty got when he got caught shagging the physios wife ♪Who's up Missus Brown♫ and the hammering he got on the terraces.....

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm

So no gay jokes doing the rounds then? I'm surprised, you Brits are usually right on it.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm sure that within cricketing circles there are plenty of jokes going around about going for a duck(ie) or smacking the middle wicket etc. already.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm

I just remember when Michael Jackson died, before I think he was even pronounced dead we had a full two pages worth of jokes.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm

ChVint22 wrote:So no gay jokes doing the rounds then? I'm surprised, you Brits are usually right on it.

Tell me about it im disappointed.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby SE13 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:43 pm

ChVint22 wrote:So no gay jokes doing the rounds then? I'm surprised, you Brits are usually right on it.

There are a few floating around, largely unfunny though.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Trina wrote:I read this this morning, it hasnt been treated as a so what in rugby, not sure about cricket. Cas have got fined if I remember right for abuse over a gay player.

It was a load of bollocks that anyway. There was only a few lads singing abuse at Gareth Thomas, they sent a message over the PA system saying it won't be tolerated. The singing stopped. Week later the club gets fined lol. Absolute joke. The club ended up banning people over it due to them getting fined.

It's okay for Leeds fans to throw bottles and other crap all over the field at our players but we get fined for a couple of pissed up lads singing for a few seconds. Everyone knows the RFL is bent as f**k though I suppose.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Van The Man Persie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... s-gay.html

Not a cricketer but didnt want to start another thread.

Only the 2nd pro footballer to come out
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:58 am

"When we are in the showers, I obviously say stuff like 'Don't drop the soap'.

Oh dear.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CraigGunner » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Libertine wrote:The England wicket-keeper Steven Davies has become the first cricketer to 'come out'.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... keter.html

The Welsh rugby international Gareth Thomas revealed he was gay a couple of years ago.
I believe a film about him is being made with Mickey Rourke playing Thomas.

Will a top level footballer every openly admit to being homosexual?
Would it be treated with a "so what?" shrug of the shoulders by football supporters, as it has been by cricket and rugby fans?
In a radio debate a couple of years back (when Thomas came out) Ian Wright said that he once played in a team with 4 gay players in it, although he wouldn't divulge which team, so it doesn't appear to be an issue amongst the players.

Justin Fashanu revealed he was gay years back but only after his career had finished.

I did not know that. As for Gareth Thomas he is an attention seeker. Cas fans got done for their shouts at him.
CraigGunner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Next

Return to Cricket