Christopher Samba

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Christopher Samba

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat May 07, 2011 10:26 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:I see he's being bigged up on twitter at the moment. Must have had a good game today? Haven't seen MOTD, anyone got any info?

Hansen and Lawrenson singled him out for praise because he had a good game today, especially the last ten minutes.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat May 07, 2011 10:31 pm

mg86 wrote:Still think this guy would have been a much needed pick up during the winter window and remains so. He isn't big time enough to probably have a problem being on the bench. Squillaci has entered Tweety territory, should not be allowed on the field unless all hell breaks loose at the back.

I'm never completely sure about this.
Ok Blackburn are really struggling but imagine they were mid-table for a moment.
Would you give up a concrete guaranteed starting place at a mid-table club for a 4th place position in a top four club?
If he came to us he might only get 20-30 appearances in the season.
Yes he'd earn more money but he's a passionate player. Could he be content to spend half the season on the bench?

It's the old thing of going from a big fish in a small pond to the other way round.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Christopher Samba

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 07, 2011 10:34 pm

He's better than Koscielny and Djourou IMO
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Sat May 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Why should any CB expect to be a shoe-in if we sign them?
They should come here expecting to fight for the right to be a starter. If they show the kind of performances that warrant to start then it can only benefit the team.
I think a player like Samba or Jags would add steel to our defence, especially when facing a certain type of opponent where hardarse defending is the order of the day.
Kossie shows he has the heart for that kind of battle but, Samba looks like he thrives on it. Put him in a better team (than Blackburn) and i think he'd excel.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Zedie » Sat May 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Samba was outstanding today. I mentioned in the Stoke matchday thread that Shawcross' lack of grasp on the art of defending and Samba showed how it should be done. West Ham would have had 3 points if it wasnt for him, absolutely colossal performance.

Not sure if he'd survive in our high line, defo the sort of CB you want if your team plays deep in general. I cant really remember a time where ive seen Samba have to use his pace, but tbf, his reading of the game would probably mean that he didnt have to recover as much as our lot do.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat May 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Thats the kind of frenzied defending we lack
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goose » Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Samba almost joined Arsenal in January

FML

Blackburn defender Chris Samba could be on the move this summer after revealing he came close to joining Arsenal in January.

The 27-year-old put in an outstanding performance as Rovers drew 1-1 at West Ham yesterday and was unbeatable in the air as Avram Grant fielded four strikers for the majority of the second half.

Blackburn's resistance was broken by Thomas Hitzlsperger's late 25-yard drive but there was still time for Samba to throw himself in the way of Carlton Cole's volley to deny the Hammers three vital points.

Samba has become a rock for Steve Kean's side but will consider his options at the end of the campaign after four and a half years at Ewood Park.

He said: "Everybody knows that I am an ambitious player.

"I am at an age now where I want to try to do something. You only have one career and it would be a shame to not make the best of it.

"I am happy at Blackburn but I will study any opportunities that come my way this year.

"I'm not trying to move away but of course I would look if it is the right thing for me.

"I think a move to Arsenal was very close in January but that is life. You have to continue.

"If it happens, it happens, but it wasn't meant to be and football is like that. I committed myself to Blackburn and will always do my best."

Samba came out on top of his personal duel with England striker Cole who twice felt he should have had a penalty after wrestling with the giant centre-half.

On both occasions Samba appeared to win the ball and he insisted such tussles were part and parcel of the game.

He said: "West Ham needed to get three points and they were playing with four or even five strikers in the second half.

"They only had one clear shot on goal which went in.

"When you are down there you try to force your destiny. You try to win a penalty and make the referee make a bad decision.

"But I stay strong and keep calm. You know when a player has taken a fall but we all play the game and we must get on with it.

"It is tough to keep focused but we defended very well and it was a good point for us."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bl ... 33826.html
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Goose wrote:Samba almost joined Arsenal in January

FML

Blackburn defender Chris Samba could be on the move this summer after revealing he came close to joining Arsenal in January.

The 27-year-old put in an outstanding performance as Rovers drew 1-1 at West Ham yesterday and was unbeatable in the air as Avram Grant fielded four strikers for the majority of the second half.

Blackburn's resistance was broken by Thomas Hitzlsperger's late 25-yard drive but there was still time for Samba to throw himself in the way of Carlton Cole's volley to deny the Hammers three vital points.

Samba has become a rock for Steve Kean's side but will consider his options at the end of the campaign after four and a half years at Ewood Park.

He said: "Everybody knows that I am an ambitious player.

"I am at an age now where I want to try to do something. You only have one career and it would be a shame to not make the best of it.

"I am happy at Blackburn but I will study any opportunities that come my way this year.

"I'm not trying to move away but of course I would look if it is the right thing for me.

"I think a move to Arsenal was very close in January but that is life. You have to continue.

"If it happens, it happens, but it wasn't meant to be and football is like that. I committed myself to Blackburn and will always do my best."

Samba came out on top of his personal duel with England striker Cole who twice felt he should have had a penalty after wrestling with the giant centre-half.

On both occasions Samba appeared to win the ball and he insisted such tussles were part and parcel of the game.

He said: "West Ham needed to get three points and they were playing with four or even five strikers in the second half.

"They only had one clear shot on goal which went in.

"When you are down there you try to force your destiny. You try to win a penalty and make the referee make a bad decision.

"But I stay strong and keep calm. You know when a player has taken a fall but we all play the game and we must get on with it.

"It is tough to keep focused but we defended very well and it was a good point for us."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bl ... 33826.html

:doh:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Christopher Samba

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Nice overhead volley just now, even if he was offside
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby shamrock11 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:51 pm

I would like to see us sign Samba he is a big monster at the back and does his best to keep the opposition from scoring,there is mixed opinions about him amongst our fans with some saying he wouldnt fit into are setup,which genuinely i do not understand
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby mg86 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Samba Vermaelen would definitively be stronger than Djourou Vermaelen. However Johan offers technical dribbling, passing and offensive build up ability. Not sure about how to handle this one, but would probably opt for Samba.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 14, 2011 6:04 pm

mg86 wrote:Johan offers technical dribbling, passing and offensive build up ability

I honestly believe that Samba offers all of these things and think that people just don't want to believe it because he is tall and plays for a team known for 'anti-football'. Samba is as 'technical' a player as Djourou IMO.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Sat May 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Does Samba read the game better than our defence? Yes.

Nuff said.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Sat May 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Was very good today.

People seem to think that i am against him because i don't rate him, not true, personally, i just don't really want to see another CB waste away at the club.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 14, 2011 6:34 pm

I can see what you're saying Gunn

I think the Samba vs Djourou debate is an interesting one - do I start another thread or do I do it here? What do you reckon gza? :hiding:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill