Copa América Centenario 2016

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Copa América Centenario 2016

Postby Cripps » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:01 am

His ankle is swollen up
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:20 am

Cripps wrote:His ankle is swollen up

It looks terrible

https://twitter.com/Alexis_Sanchez/stat ... wsrc%5Etfw
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:25 am

teared ankle

out for the season
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:03 pm

It's Sanchez, he'll be back in training tomorrow, seeing his track record
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:00 pm

He'll be back in September imo
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:54 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:Aguero and Masch follow Messi into retirement.

Those useless wanks - Di Maria and Higuain - to retire as well alongside Banega and Biglia.

Holy Molly!

What a bunch of pussies. Messi started it all, spineless. Lost respect for him.

While I can understand the sentiment, I think it's not as clear cut as it seems. Just need a bit of back-story to understand the situation. When Messi first made played for Argentina, nobody knew how to spell his name and he was called a Spanish-Argentine player. There's an article on the Telegraph.

Since then, every time Argentina has failed - it's been because Messi was the, "outsider." He's never been loved at Argentina as much as he's cherished at Barcelona.

He could have easily chose to play for Spain and walked past everyone with multiple World Cups, but he remained loyal to the country of his birth. Barcelona provided him all the love and care. Even there, he was the, "outsider," but he was too good for anyone to question him.

I am disappointed that Messi has retired from international football. But I don't blame him for the decision.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:45 am

4 finals for Argentina, choked in all. He's taken his ball and he's gone home. Nothing more to it.

People can use Higuain missing chances in finals as an excuse all they want, fact is Messi hasn't turned up. Higuain isn't the self proclaimed best player in the world. Messi is and he hasn't produced when his country needed him the most.

Watched all four finals and he's hardly had a kick in any of them.

Actually think now that he's "gone" Argentina can rise again and become a team instead of a bunch of individuals playing a game of football.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:58 am

Cripps wrote:4 finals for Argentina, choked in all. He's taken his ball and he's gone home. Nothing more to it.

People can use Higuain missing chances in finals as an excuse all they want, fact is Messi hasn't turned up. Higuain isn't the self proclaimed best player in the world. Messi is and he hasn't produced when his country needed him the most.

Actually think now that he's "gone" Argentina can rise again and become a team instead of a bunch of individuals playing a game of football.

While harsh, you may have a point. Messi is a huge player just as Ronaldo is and their respective teams look to them for everything.

I'm almost certain that in Portugal and Argentina, you'll find more pictures of the respective national hero across the country coming up to international tournaments, than pictures of the whole squad. Almost as if the others don't exist.

I feel that this almost let's the rest of the Nt off the hook as regardless how they play, it's always about Ronaldo or Messi.

Taking either of them out of their Nt will 100% force the rest to actually try to perform because there's no more Messi or Ronaldo to pass to just because they're Messi or Ronaldo.

Maybe it is time for both of them to step down and have the others carry the team on their shoulders for a change.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 am

Messi should've played for Spain
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:07 am

Cripps wrote:4 finals for Argentina, choked in all. He's taken his ball and he's gone home. Nothing more to it.

'Tis true.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby dolan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:10 am

Sims wrote:Messi should've played for Spain

You want to make it even easier for Messi by putting him in another team that's almost identical to Barcelona?

I'm not even sure anymore if Messi would be able to produce such high feats at a different club. Barcelona is tailor-made for him. And when you see his Argentina performances, you realize how dependent he is on having a great and familiar team around you.
dolan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:12 am

Well if he wanted to win an international trophy yeah

Tbh I think his performances were pretty good from what I saw. Him and CR7 can only do so much with such inbalance around them
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby dolan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:20 am

Sims wrote:Well if he wanted to win an international trophy yeah

Tbh I think his performances were pretty good from what I saw. Him and CR7 can only do so much with such inbalance around them

He had a chance in 2014. But he didn't turn up, like he didn't turn up for the entire tournament, yet he was blatanly awarded player of the tournament.
dolan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Sims wrote:Well if he wanted to win an international trophy yeah

Portugal are f***ing shite other than Ronaldo. Argentina have quality players as well as Messi.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Portugal have a decent team but have always been vastly mismanaged in the same way Argentina have

Rubén Lopes should be starting, decent fullbacks, experienced defence, good midfielders and their wingers aren't too bad

Argentina have a wank keeper, full backs aren't great, shaky CBs, an okay midfield then all of a sudden about 15 quality strikers
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to World Football