The Chinese Super League Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: The Chinese Super League thread

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:50 am

I hope this league implodes.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 am

^ It's the second stage of the business model: investment.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:21 am

realtalk wrote:These fees are not sustainable.

Of course they are, they've got more than enough money ... I bet five years ago you'd have said paying an EPL player 50k a week was 'not sustainable' now they're on five times that ....

Was Utd paying Ibra 240k a week stupid, crazy, beyond daft as posted on here .... looks a blinding bit of business now ...

China has a potential 'home' TV market 20 times that of the EPL .... whilst they can't charge SKY prices they don't need to ... don't kid yourself these salaries are easily sustainable, in fact if the business plan works (and yes that's still a big if) you will see not only players coming to the end of their careers moving to China, but also the best and the brightest ....

If they wanted to pay 300m for Ronaldo they could, Messi 350m no problem ... Ozil 100m easily done ...

The spending plans for the next Chinese transfer window in June will blow your mind .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:25 am

Has anyone actually watched a match in this pub league?

Is it as bad quality wise as I suspect it to be?
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:27 am

It will always be a poor man's MLS which no one cares about, though.

Buying all these B-rate players at exorbitant prices won't bring the league any more relevancy or viewers.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Rastayouth » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:08 am

Cripps wrote:Has anyone actually watched a match in this pub league?

Been to a game a couple years back. Terrible quality, seen better skills from some Powerleague lads. Tried watching a few games on telly but always switch off due to boredom. Atmosphere is good though, fans are loud and dont stop singing. Tickets cost peanuts so would go again just for a laugh.
Rastayouth
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:12 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:It will always be a poor man's MLS which no one cares about, though.

Buying all these B-rate players at exorbitant prices won't bring the league any more relevancy or viewers.

Disagree. When you look at these players, they might be have-beens but are still a big deal in their country. They know they have zero chance of much European viewership and have gone for the South American and African market, plus the Chinese market itself is huge
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:15 am

They have far more money than and will attract players more in their prime than mos, still I think the best like a Sanchez right now want glory more than riches and I wouldn't have any fear of him going there.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:29 am

Cripps wrote:Has anyone actually watched a match in this pub league?

Yup .... I've watched a bit, it's not EPL standard but it's very watchable ... plenty of goals

But more importantly the locals watch it, the average gates have doubled from 10k to 24k in ten years ... EPL averages 36k .... but in both cases this is limited due to stadium sizes ....

The Chinese have nine new stadium already built or coming on line next season each with a capacity over 55,000, all 16 member teams in the CSL will have over 50k stadium in 5 years, as will any new clubs that join if the league increases in size from it's current 16 teams ...

What about TV?

Football is the most watched sport in China and it attracted 1.027 billion football viewers for live TV broadcasting in 2015. All games are shown live ....

Premier League (5058 hours) and the Chinese Super League (4095 hours) were the most broadcast events, accounting for 41% of the total football events on Chinese TV in 2015

It is already widely forecast that Chinese viewing figures will have doubled in 2016 and that the CSL will have overtaken the EPL in popularity ...

Remember this league was only founded 14 years ago .... it's not going away ....

FYI - President Xi Jinping is a massive fan of football, he has stated his desire to import even more football culture into the country and that he wishes China to become a great nation of football in the future. In China he tends to get what he wants ......
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:30 am

I said in the International Transfer thread that the CSL will be nothing but a glorified MLS. The CSL is what the MLS would look like without salary caps and a huge fan base sans the country having the appeal for superstars. Make Americans as passionate for football as we are about American football and remove the MLS salary cap, and European leagues would be rattled right now (instead of only selling above average players from the third world to China every now and then) as we can easily house football teams in 30+ stadiums around the country with capacities in excess of 65,000.

However, Europe is safe for the foreseeable future. If it ever got to the point where individual leagues couldn't compete with super leagues in other countries, the top European clubs would leave their national leagues and form a European super league with the biggest and the richest clubs of Europe.

Urban Chinese discretionary spending is forecasted by McKinsey to be $1.88 trillion in 2020. In America, consumers spent $1.77 trillion in Summer 2013 alone ($7.08 trillion for the year if we assume that number was roughly the same for each season). In the EU, it was about $5.46 trillion during 2014.

China may be rich as a country, but the vast majority of its population sure as hell isn't. China can have all the fans it wants, but they're not outspending Americans or Europeans any time soon.

And also like I said in the International Transfer thread, the CSL won't become football mecca because China sucks to live in if you grew up in a developed nation.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:54 am

Brandon wrote: --- and also like I said in the International Transfer thread, the CSL won't become football mecca because China sucks to live in if you grew up in a developed nation.

Take your point on GDP and hence available spend ... but spending on football as you know bears little resemblance to overall income, die-hard fans will spend a ridiculous amount of their gross income on the team they support ... the Chinese are no different in that respect .... in a home with a total income of 300 dollars a month you will always find satellite TV

Where I would disagree - as I live in Asia as an ex-pat I have a fair idea - living here don't suck at all, unless of course you meant literally .... when you have money, and footballers have a feckin' shed load, you can live like a king .... I'm nowhere near as wealthy as a footballer but I live the Life of Reily .... money can buy you anything you want out here .... and it can also buy you out of anything as well ....

Having personally seen the way many footballers behave out here on tour (or they did until the Leicester boys fecked' it up) I can assure you they will be moving here in droves ... honestly, it does not suck to live here ... in fact far from it ....

Footballers move to Turkey, Russia even feckin' Mersyside ... they can cope with China ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:45 pm

chinese clubs are essentially a more bonkers Shakhtar

they know no european is going to want to move there until they're about 34
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zenith » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby CukiZeGerman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I hope this league implodes.

So it was okay when Chelsea and the Premier League did the same thing ~12 years ago, but it isn't okay now with the CSL.
Double standards much?
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:42 am

CukiZeGerman wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:I hope this league implodes.

So it was okay when Chelsea and the Premier League did the same thing ~12 years ago, but it isn't okay now with the CSL.
Double standards much?

It would only be a double standard if I said it was ok when Chelsea did it. But I never have.

f**k knows where you got that from.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to World Football