Complacency and poor attitude

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Complacency and poor attitude

Postby Savas2001 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:01 am

Not sure why this isn't in the actual match report thread, but then again if we're focusing on what went wrong on the second half, fair enough.

This has indeed happened before, I think it was West Brom or Everton, maybe even both..

As for specifically this game, it felt like as if Villa was still worried of conceding another goal so they were still sitting tight defensively, then I'm not quite sure what it was exactly, but our attack was none existent and whatever we did Villa wasn't having any troubles, and so they were slowly moving up, trying their luck as if they were the ones with a two goal lead, then came their goal and they knew our attack couldn't do anything under a full pressure mount. If this was planned, then we got tactically played.

What seems to be the issue isn't our completely none existent offence at such a phase, but for some reason we feel the pressure as if this is like a champions league final against a very strong team.. There seems to be no direction or proper thought process to look at what they're doing, stop the flow of their momentum, find a weakness when they stretch to put the pressure on us and exploit it (as offence).. This is what, in my opinion is the making of champions, to put a goal in and then hold them back by simply keeping them busy with having to defend strong counter attacks. The worrying thing is Man City did this to us - though we had glaring defence issues - they saw we could come back and score just as much, but they focused on making sure they can stop the flow, work a weakness, which was our left/centre and widen the gap, not just settle for parking the bus.

Man City game, unfortunately was a defensive issue, as I don't think that's under dispute, as they kept scoring keeping the lead every time we tried to come back. But the ManU game was a goal on the first half and when they all know that we need to score, we simply did nothing special (attack wise) in the second half, so this boils down to, in my opinion the offence failing to do their part in both scenarios.

If we're a goal or two up, to put it simple; we should be taking shots on goal at least once or twice when we regain possession, very simple. Villa game, we did 8 shots, 4 on target, that is clearly not enough considering how we were offensive for most of that game.. Our passing should be safe and giving it away 2 seconds later from regaining it, even such a basic such as this was not done and that's what worries me. How are we supposed to win anything when we feel the pressure when we're up 2 goals?

But... I could be wrong and this could all be because they really didn't see Villa as a threat so they only took what chances that came to them.
Savas2001
Patrick Vieira

Postby Youngie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Savas2001 wrote:Not sure why this isn't in the actual match report thread, but then again if we're focusing on what went wrong on the second half, fair enough.

This has indeed happened before, I think it was West Brom or Everton, maybe even both..

As for specifically this game, it felt like as if Villa was still worried of conceding another goal so they were still sitting tight defensively, then I'm not quite sure what it was exactly, but our attack was none existent and whatever we did Villa wasn't having any troubles, and so they were slowly moving up, trying their luck as if they were the ones with a two goal lead, then came their goal and they knew our attack couldn't do anything under a full pressure mount. If this was planned, then we got tactically played.

What seems to be the issue isn't our completely none existent offence at such a phase, but for some reason we feel the pressure as if this is like a champions league final against a very strong team.. There seems to be no direction or proper thought process to look at what they're doing, stop the flow of their momentum, find a weakness when they stretch to put the pressure on us and exploit it (as offence).. This is what, in my opinion is the making of champions, to put a goal in and then hold them back by simply keeping them busy with having to defend strong counter attacks. The worrying thing is Man City did this to us - though we had glaring defence issues - they saw we could come back and score just as much, but they focused on making sure they can stop the flow, work a weakness, which was our left/centre and widen the gap, not just settle for parking the bus.

Man City game, unfortunately was a defensive issue, as I don't think that's under dispute, as they kept scoring keeping the lead every time we tried to come back. But the ManU game was a goal on the first half and when they all know that we need to score, we simply did nothing special (attack wise) in the second half, so this boils down to, in my opinion the offence failing to do their part in both scenarios.

If we're a goal or two up, to put it simple; we should be taking shots on goal at least once or twice when we regain possession, very simple. Villa game, we did 8 shots, 4 on target, that is clearly not enough considering how we were offensive for most of that game.. Our passing should be safe and giving it away 2 seconds later from regaining it, even such a basic such as this was not done and that's what worries me. How are we supposed to win anything when we feel the pressure when we're up 2 goals?

But... I could be wrong and this could all be because they really didn't see Villa as a threat so they only took what chances that came to them.

Good post mate, :clap:
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Myrmedus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:Goal difference may decide the title again this year, it is something we should bear in mind. If we have the energy to spare then go for it.

I actually think you save energy but thrashing teams because you kill their spirit. Look at the amount of energy that was required to keep Villa at bay!
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby @timjbharg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:07 am

Savas2001 wrote:Not sure why this isn't in the actual match report thread, but then again if we're focusing on what went wrong on the second half, fair enough.

Excellent post. I think this discrepancy is down to both the lack of a penetrating offensive player that is on some form (that would have been Santi last season and, to a degree, Ramsey earlier this season), the resulting confidence issue from that and a captaincy / leadership issue. Honestly, I'm really not sold on Arteta or Vermaelen on captaincy. Would that issue still exist with Per (or possibly even Flamini) as captain? Maybe not. What we need is a player to back himself on getting past opponents and it seems no-one wants to do that at the moment - usually, that'd be Santi from 2012/2013 or Özil in the recent past, but both seem hesitant to do it now. Not really sure why, either, since we're doing well in the league and should be trying to take some chances in front of goal to score more and not just look to boot it to Gibbs/Nacho/Sagna/Jenkinson for the cross.
@timjbharg
Patrick Vieira

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:11 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:This is what title winning seasons are like though. You go through spells where games are a bit dull and you aren't playing well but you still manage to pick up points. At least we haven't peaked to early as in the past. If we can carry on playing like this and picking up points then great!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby arsebandit » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:37 pm

gooney wrote:
arsebandit wrote:All this tension is wrecking my nerves. HOWEVER. It is based on recent history, NOT our ability to actually defend, cos we can. Sure I'd rather be 4 up but WE ARE TOP. I feel this fear, so far, is unfounded. Palace, newcastle, last night, all games we previously WOULD have dropped points. But we're not now & honestly, in those games, though awful to live through, were we in serious trouble? Tiny bit of pressure yes but I'd much rather know we don't & won't buckle. And we're not. So F*ck the so called experts, F*ck citeh being 'head & shoulders above everyone else'... all we need do is keep winning cos last time I looked, WE ARE TOP!! COYFG

This is getting so fvcking annoying. Every close win this season people say this is the type of game arsenal wouldnt win in the past. Like we never won a close game last few seasons :rofll: We been averaging around the 70-73 points last few seasons. That means we won alot of close games and been a top 4 team. But the praise is now becoming too much with people acting like in the past we were a team that never won close games and every close win is a sign how much we have improved.

Its really not that complicated. we are a very good team who lacks firing power, thats the difference between us and City. Goalkeepers are the same, we have slightly better defence, midfield is about the same. But they have huge advantage when it comes to strikers. Watch us next week have another close game with the worst defence in the league by some distance and people say we show maturity again and we wouldnt have won a game like that in the past :lol:

I feel you didn't quite understand the gist of my post. It's ok, I know you love Arsenal too :doh:
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk