When did it all begin for you?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: When did it all begin for you?

Postby FatSadGooner » Thu May 31, 2012 6:51 pm

I should have been a Man Utd fan. Bobby Charlton was my first hero - the way he scored for England was just fantastic. So my parents got me the Utd kit. I wore it once for a photo (which has been haunting me ever since). But I hated Best and Law, so I went off Bobby too.

Then Timmy Felix changed my life. I was about 6 and he was the big cool kid over the road. He supported Arsenal. All the other losers round our way supported Chelsea or Palace, so I supported Arsenal. I remember hating Chelsea before the FA Cup final in 1970. Some feelings just don't change, do they?

Now I haven't seen this guy for 40 odd years, and I don't think he was particularly solid as an Arsenal fan. I don't remember him ever going to a game or anything. (If you're out there reading this, Tim - I apologise). But it was too late, by then I had found my path in life.

So basically it's the fault of a bloke I can hardly remember.

Cheers Tim

:cheers:
'I ran home immediately to my wife in excitement and said, 'I've seen the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you'll ever see in our Academy…..and he's from Lewisham!'

David Dein on Rocky Rocastle.

I wonder what Gazidis would have said......
FatSadGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby VCC » Thu May 31, 2012 7:16 pm

i like that story FSG LOL
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Forest » Thu May 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Well seeming i was 7 and just started to get into football the Premier League was born, it was like an NFL thing where everyone had to have a Premier League team as it was the cool thing in school.

Man Utd Won it first and everyone was virtually a Manc and i followed them too, but then saw an interview with Wrighty and made me chuckle how he acted so start to follow Arsenal then mainly because of him im a fan.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 pm

1995 Cup Winners Cup final.

1995 was the first year I really started to pay any attention to English football and while I didn't really have a preference during the season (apart from quickly viewing United with ever increasing disdain), I felt really gutted for Arsenal after the defeat and realised that I actually like the team alot. Then we signed Bergkamp from my then main team Inter and I was like "Ok I will really watch them close now".

From 1995 I would say I was a fan but I didn't become a full blown supporter and throw my eternal support into Arsenal until 1997/1998 when I saw that we were playing exciting football and capable of stopping Man Utd who i just wanted to lose at all costs. I suppose it is kind of a negative motivation (though not my only motivation as seen above) but it turned to a positive one as our style and football wowed me more and more over the years and made me fall in love with the club for all the right reasons.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Thu May 31, 2012 10:14 pm

I was born into the Arsenal.

My mum and dad were both avid Arsenal fans and held season tickets and went to most away games back in the day. My mum even went to a game when she was pregnant with me!

My first game I remember vaguely was a charity shield match at the old Wembley against United when I was about 4 or 5, and have just been supporting them passionately ever since.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby yosifun » Thu May 31, 2012 10:38 pm

ARSHENAL wrote:1998! World cup got me into football and a combination of where I lived and Henry made me choose Arsenal...oh and also to piss off my Spuds supporting familly!

More or less the same time, I started following France and Arsenal probably because of players like Petit Viera and Henry.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby nwankwo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:43 am

I know I'm an old fart ,my Dad first took me to Highbury,the Home of Football in 1965 when I was 4! He had a season ticket in the West Stand + I sat on his lap,in those days you could do that,my Dad gave the guy at the turnstile money for a drink + he lifted me over the turnstile.I saw the players who were to win the double in 70-71,I saw the Fairs cup win at Highbury over Anderlecht in 1970.My first Wembley cup final was the defeat by Swindon in 1969.
Once a Gooner,always a Gooner!
nwankwo
Michael Thomas

Postby VCC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:57 am

nwankwo wrote:I know I'm an old fart ,my Dad first took me to Highbury,the Home of Football in 1965 when I was 4! He had a season ticket in the West Stand + I sat on his lap,in those days you could do that,my Dad gave the guy at the turnstile money for a drink + he lifted me over the turnstile.I saw the players who were to win the double in 70-71,I saw the Fairs cup win at Highbury over Anderlecht in 1970.My first Wembley cup final was the defeat by Swindon in 1969.
Once a Gooner,always a Gooner!

:hail: :hail: you have lived some dry Arsenal spells then nwankwo
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby nwankwo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:17 am

Yes I have done VCC,I saw Bobby Gould play who was terrible + the useless Ian Ure,but I did see my all-time favourite Arsenal player Geordie Armstrong,he signed in 1961,the year of my birth!
nwankwo
Michael Thomas

Postby friedslice » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:39 am

Had no choice. The moment I was born my family had me enrolled as a junior gunner. Entire, large family of north london gooners from north London. Proud to say Im a Gooner and even prouder that it wasnt a thing of choice, I was just lucky to be from good arsenal stock. Been loving and hurting with the arsenal for 3 decades
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby friedslice » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:46 am

And not meaning to be funny but it's baffling just how many people "switched" teams. Guess we put it down to youthful ignorance. I remember someone in the clock end circa 99 happily telling everyone he used to be a scouse fan up until they stopped winning things. Probably the wrong place to admit and he was soon ushered out not to be seen again. It must be hard for overseas fans though.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:55 am

^^^im an overseas fan and have never suported another side.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby friedslice » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:06 am

Quite, I didn't mean it to sound like I meant all foreign fans have switched teams, I know that's not the case. The bit about foreign fans is a side note as it must be difficult becoming attached to a club when tradionally there's no family arsenal background or even football passion in some cases where football may perhaps not be all that popular.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:13 am

^^^i supose it comes down to how you suport a team,and how loyal you are
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby friedslice » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 am

Most definitely is. Unfortunately loyalty amongst arsenal fans seems to be disappearing by the day, some are turning into yids....the very people who for years we mocked as being fickle for turning on their own so easily
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk