When did it all begin for you?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: When did it all begin for you?

Postby ivan itchybum » Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 pm

People are gonna laugh but I was very young and thought Arsenal kinda rhymed with Ireland... thus started a love story :)
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

When did it all begin for you?

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed May 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Anfield '89. I didn't really like football until that moment. It is the first game i ever watched from start to finish. It is the first game that i ever genuinely cared about who won.

My dad never followed a team and so i didn't either. I didn't even care about my local team, plymouth argyle back then. But we watched that game and it is the first time i have ever seen my dad excited about football.

Even my mum was cheering for arsenal because her auntie lived in london and married a postman who was a propoer arsenal fan.

After that I began to watch more football and I watched the 1990 WC and collected the panini stickers. By coincidence arsenal were the first team i completed in the panini sticker album.

All my mates supported top flight teams but at the time i didn't really support anyone, so I told my mum i was going to support arsenal. I got the 90/91 home shirt for my birthday.

My uncle and aunt in london sent me down programmes and i joined the junior gunners. I was ball boy in 1993.

The rest, as they say, is history!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby golfinguy » Thu May 17, 2012 1:47 am

Jay22 wrote:1998 WC - the exact moment being watching THAT goal by God.

Same here - same moment!

After the US crashed out horribly I was enjoying watching clockwork orange. When he scored THAT goal, I immediately found out where he played, was reading off the roster and saw Overmars as well - that was it, I was sold. :biggrin:

Was still a while before I could regularly watch games though :redface:
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby T.Jonker » Thu May 17, 2012 11:17 am

I became fan probably in the middle of the 2010/2011 season. I always liked Arsenal since I was a child and I remember being the only one of my class (was about 12 i think) wanting Arsenal to win from Barca at the CL final a few years ago! I think the main reason why I became fan is because of the attractive football and RVP, but even if RVP leaves I think im pretty sure that im still going to remain a fan of the club because I really like the rest of the squad too.
T.Jonker
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby ArsenalN5 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:21 am

Born and bred in Highbury to a family of Gooners. Met Mr Arsenal (Tony Adams) a few times as a kid.
ArsenalN5
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Fri May 18, 2012 8:21 am

1986 when i first took an interest in football. I grew up supporting Arsenal and Bolton as my 2nd team. As a kid and young adult i never missed a Bolton home game. Watched Arsenal on TV and when i could away. Now as an adult, With kids and paying for Sky TV i hardly get to any live games. Eh at least i do not lie and say i have not missed a game for 20 years.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby djaxster » Fri May 18, 2012 8:45 am

dj_jonty_uk wrote:1989, mid-season. I wasn't really exposed to football when i was growing up (cause my dad was a dick), so i was a late follower at 8 years old. I wanted a team with a rude word in it.......at 8 years old 'arse' was a rude word to me, so i pledged my allegiance from the day my best friend came into primary school and declared we should get ourselves a football team.

I'm glad 'arse' was the first rude word i could think of :)

Plus, after i had decided to follow Arsenal, my dad said he had always liked spurs.....so my allegiance was solidified.

You could have been a Scunthorpe fan :lol:
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jgaugust » Sat May 19, 2012 12:50 am

2005-06 season. My close friend and editor in college is pretty close with AW and he got me hooked on the sport while just talking around the office. I've been a diehard Gooner ever since and have made it out to three games so far in the past couple of seasons from the States.
jgaugust
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Sat May 19, 2012 12:59 am

djaxster wrote:
dj_jonty_uk wrote:1989, mid-season. I wasn't really exposed to football when i was growing up (cause my dad was a dick), so i was a late follower at 8 years old. I wanted a team with a rude word in it.......at 8 years old 'arse' was a rude word to me, so i pledged my allegiance from the day my best friend came into primary school and declared we should get ourselves a football team.

I'm glad 'arse' was the first rude word i could think of :)

Plus, after i had decided to follow Arsenal, my dad said he had always liked spurs.....so my allegiance was solidified.

You could have been a Scunthorpe fan :lol:

:rofll: I didn't know that word at that age.....but if i did.....

Might support them as my 2nd team now :sneaky2:
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Dejan » Sat May 19, 2012 10:26 am

probably 2000. or maybe 2001.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby ayN » Sat May 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Till around 2004, I knew just the names of three players, and the names of two clubs (AC Milan and Manchester United). I hadn't even watched any football match till 2002. The first match I watched was the 2002 World Cup final. I never spoke about or even thought about football. The year Beckham left United, I decided not to support any club. My dad has been an Arsenal fan since the 1970s, and he just told me to support Arsenal. The 2006 World Cup, I started watching football, without really supporting any club. After the 2006 World Cup, my dad got me some Arsenal stockings when I started playing football. Been watching and supporting Arsenal since.
Wenger please go away
ayN
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Chuck Felsea » Thu May 31, 2012 1:56 pm

1997, after a business trip to Germany got me interested in football. I chose Arsenal because they are the Gunners and guns are a hobby of mine. I didnt get to follow them steadily however until a few years ago.
Chuck Felsea
Michael Thomas

Postby feeddaox » Thu May 31, 2012 2:35 pm

around 05/06 my mate got me into them, i loved henry also.
feeddaox
Liam Brady

Postby Shlomi » Thu May 31, 2012 4:20 pm

wow, people here are old.
Anyway, since I can remember myself I support Arsenal.
Last edited by Shlomi on Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shlomi
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby TRA Dial Square » Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm

No... You're just an extremely young Gooner.

Big difference.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk