AW to loan a keeper

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

AW to loan a keeper

Postby liam_cork » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:46 pm

this must have bben posted but i cant find it

Arsene Wenger is set to seek permission to sign a goalkeeper on loan after it was confirmed Wojciech Szczesny will be out for around six weeks.

The 20-year-old Pole, who started the season as third-choice keeper, suffered a dislocated finger early on during Tuesday night's UEFA Champions League defeat at Barcelona.

Former first-choice Manuel Almunia came on and made some important saves before Barca eventually broke Arsenal's resistance.

But he is now the Gunners' only fit senior keeper as Lukasz Fabianski was already ruled out for the season after shoulder surgery while Vito Mannone picked up a thigh injury on loan at Hull City.

Wenger looks set to ask the Premier League if he can bring in experienced cover as James Shea, 19, and Damian Martinez, 18, are his only other goalkeeping options.

"We need now an experienced goalkeeper as cover for Almunia because Mannone is out for six weeks so we cannot call on him," Wenger told the club's official website.
Mannone unavailable

"Mannone is here at the training ground having treatment, but he cannot play for the next six weeks. We can call him back (from Hull), but he is not available.

"We have Wojciech out - in my opinion for six weeks - and we have Fabianski out for the rest of the season, so we absolutely need some cover in goal."

Almunia looked set to leave during the January transfer window but the Spaniard has been thrust back into the frame ahead of Saturday's FA Cup quarter-final at Manchester United.

And Wenger praised the 33-year-old's application while he saw Fabianski and then Szczesny sneak ahead of him in the pecking order.

"He is very professional, has a very dignified attitude and overall he has done very well," added the Arsenal boss.

"Yes, he has done quite well when he came on and was quite busy in the final part of the game and he did very well."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 98,00.html
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: AW to loan a keeper

Postby gzagee » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:50 pm

So guys, it looks like AW will finally get the experienced keeper y'all always wanted. :lol:
Belated i know, but better late than never, eh. ;)
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby TRA Dial Square » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:54 pm

This is being discussed in the Szczesny's dislocated finger thread but I'd rather it be sooner rather than later. Almunia against a ferocious Barca team proved his worth but will he do the deed today or should we have processed the emergeloan the very second business opened Wed morning?
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:01 pm

why's mannone unaivable?!
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby TRA Dial Square » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Dejan wrote:why's mannone unaivable?!

Injured thigh or hip or something.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goose » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Jens Lehmann is avaiable!
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby liam_cork » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:20 pm

stick eboue in he's played everywhere else
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Just out of interest, I'm wondering why you're not going mad about Arsenal trying to bring in an emergency loan? City got a lot of abuse for it on this very forum last season,
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby FrustratedGooner » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Just out of interest, I'm wondering why you're not going mad about Arsenal trying to bring in an emergency loan? City got a lot of abuse for it on this very forum last season,

I never said anything about it but im guessing something along the lines of hart was loaned out at the time why you never recalled him? but as i typed this i realised he said he wanted to stay so this whole post of mine was pointless good day sir.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby VCC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:58 pm

just hope we dont end up with some flapping incompetant crap throwaway from elsewhere.:)
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:09 pm

FrustratedGooner wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:Just out of interest, I'm wondering why you're not going mad about Arsenal trying to bring in an emergency loan? City got a lot of abuse for it on this very forum last season,

I never said anything about it but im guessing something along the lines of hart was loaned out at the time why you never recalled him? but as i typed this i realised he said he wanted to stay so this whole post of mine was pointless good day sir.

We wasn't allowed to bring him back as it wasn't part of the terms to recall him.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

AW to loan a keeper

Postby JackMan86 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Goose wrote:Jens Lehmann is avaiable!

Yeah I read that on Goal.com this morning. He's doing his coaching badges at Arsenal atm and is available. Can't beat a bit of experience between the posts!
KROENKE OUT GAZIDIS OUT HILL-WOOD OUT

USMANOV IN
JackMan86
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Even if we get a keeper on loan, Almunia, surely, deserves to finish this season off as our #1 (Especially after the stick he's been getting).

He's been outstanding lately, too.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:11 am

Gunner11 wrote:Even if we get a keeper on loan, Almunia, surely, deserves to finish this season off as our #1 (Especially after the stick he's been getting).

He's been outstanding lately, too.

Almunia has never filled me with confidence... how long until his next howler?
with the EPL so tight, we cannot possibly afford to use a keeper as unreliable as Almunia
if we don't sign someone on injury replacement, I am giving up on the title

ideally, we would get Shay Given, doubt that will happen though
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby shamrock11 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:34 am

shay given is injured
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle