Szczesny vs Fabianski

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

?

Szczesny
79%
Fabianski
21%

Total votes : 34

Re: Szczesny vs Fabianski

Postby Forest » Wed May 25, 2011 9:16 pm

I agree with that too, i dont think there is a country mile between the two based on this/last season.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby GunnGunn » Wed May 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks, the main thing i am looking forward to is simply the consistency, we need an established Number 1 who is simply the first name on the team sheet when fit, its as simple as that.

We haven't had that consistency in goal for nearly 2 seasons, Almunia may have Number 1 printed on his shirt but he is not a Number 1.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby liam_cork » Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 pm

flappers for me when he was starting he was playing very well, Szczesny still likes to drop a clanger every now and then
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 pm

liam_cork wrote:flappers for me when he was starting he was playing very well, Szczesny still likes to drop a clanger every now and then

As well as pulling off the great saves everyone remembers Fabianski also dropped clangers and flapped a number of times during his time in the team. But he was being judged against his previous dreadful form. He is an error prone goalkeeper and that will never change
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby liam_cork » Wed May 25, 2011 9:26 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:
liam_cork wrote:flappers for me when he was starting he was playing very well, Szczesny still likes to drop a clanger every now and then

As well as pulling off the great saves everyone remembers Fabianski also dropped clangers and flapped a number of times during his time in the team. But he was being judged against his previous dreadful form. He is an error prone goalkeeper and that will never change

for me he seemed to cut it out
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goose » Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Fabianski is a much better shot stopper, he has a knack for saving the unsaveable and he is the kind of keeper that can face a dominant team and not concede (Wolves, Man City), he has also sorted out his mentality issues, he is very built as well.

Szczesny on the other hand seems to be more dominant, he is taller, oozes confidence and is a lot younger.

If it were upto me, i would give Fabianski the Number 1 shirt simply because he deserves it given the way he came back after he saved that penalty, that sort of comeback after 2 seasons of mistakes and being berated was nothing short of miraculous.

BUT, we all know AW is going to promote Ches and i don't have a problem with that either.

Thats exactly what I said on Twitter yesterday, but in 140 characters lol

Fabianski is a better shot stopper and dstributor and a decent penalty saver

Chesney dominates his area more and is more confident, but he has let in some soft goals lately
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby GunnGunn » Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Chesney reminds me of Lehmann a bit, he will get better so as i said, don't have a problem with him being Number 1.

As for error proneness, all keepers make clangers, it comes with the territory, the best keepers are the keepers that make mistakes and come back stronger, Fabi took a while but he came back a much better keeper and even when he did make mistakes it didn't effect him, if anything it made him more determined.

THAT is the sign of a great keeper.

How many mistakes has Hart, VDS, Cech made? Lots but their overall ability and quality makes up for that, Arsenal fans tend to see the worst in players even if its the smallest of things, and then make light of the things that they do very well.

All a bunch of cynical bastards us Gooners.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby mg86 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:42 am

I love Szczesny, he's a Gunner after all. Kid's got a beast mentality and tries hard out there.

However, I can remember Szczesny allowing several in that would have been bitch slapped out by Fabianski. His distribution is also not as good as Fabianski. Fabs distribution in several games during his tenure in goal was outstanding, dead on to every one the entire game. I also can't see Fabianski leaving us, guy is humble as hell and overcame a remarkable mental burden. Deserves it, if we had to pick one reason, the injury shouldn't kill his opportunity to be our keeper.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby VCC » Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 am

I have not voted both have great futures and both are young,the young part equals mistakes both will do this that is the gamble over a world class keeper,but imo mg86 hit the nail on the head not alot seperates them but for me Fabs is better at the distrubution side.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu May 26, 2011 11:18 am

CynicalGooner wrote:

every goalkeeper in the world is error prone
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby IMF » Thu May 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Flaps.

Szczesny is good but well overrated by gooners. What has he done to make him number 1? Get beaten by plenty of long range shots, save no penalties, get beaten between his legs and on several one on ones... that parry to Martins. Even Mannone did better when he played. Plus his distribution is even worse than Almunia's and I don't see this dominant in air thing... we've conceded plenty of set peices with him in goal. In fact we've conceded more set peices per game with him in goal than with any other keeper in goal.

Flaps was awesome up til his injury.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Dejan » Thu May 26, 2011 5:28 pm

they're both very good. Hope they stay at the club for along time :)
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby liam_cork » Thu May 26, 2011 7:39 pm

IMF wrote:Flaps.

Szczesny is good but well overrated by gooners. What has he done to make him number 1? Get beaten by plenty of long range shots, save no penalties, get beaten between his legs and on several one on ones... that parry to Martins. Even Mannone did better when he played. Plus his distribution is even worse than Almunia's and I don't see this dominant in air thing... we've conceded plenty of set peices with him in goal. In fact we've conceded more set peices per game with him in goal than with any other keeper in goal.

Flaps was awesome up til his injury.

this. and if was better and hadn't onkly had a three man wall against barca he wouldn't of been injured and we wouldn't be stuck with al
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:11 pm

I just hope Flaps keeps his confidence. They'll both be judged by their f**k ups, and the keepers who are most confident make the least f**k ups.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby gzagee » Thu May 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Fabi (some of you still call him Flaps, Flappy yet say he's the better keeper, isn't it ironic.... :rolleyes: ) did come back very well from his mental weakness.
HOWEVER, I'm yet to be convinced he's better than Chesney. Some are talking down Ches as if he's some 30yr old veteran, with a record as poor as Calamity James (in his Liverpool days). The boy is 20-21 and we're comparing him to his older and more experienced counterpart.

I'm not saying Fabi is the poorer keeper, he obviously has great ability but you can split them with a piece Rizla paper, they are that close in quality
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk