What are you listening to?

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Pudpop wrote:I invested in a speaker system to mitigate that risk

Personally would never go back to using headphones. They have higher quality for cheaper but I always hated having things in my ears or on my head

Sound quality aside, a good pair of headphones should be so cushiony you can barely feel it sitting on your head.

Get a Takstar Pro 80 and you'll know what I mean. Aluminum built, they come with both leather and velvet ear cups and a soft leather headband. Very decent, warm-ish sound, for less than $100; even most audiophiles on head-fi appear to like it and can't get their heads around as to why it is so cheap.

Undoubtedly one of the best investments I've made in recent years.

Ok but can I lie down on my bed with them on? Serious question...

I might have to get one of those for when I'm out of the house though. Using in-ear Samsung headphones at university is becoming a bit of problem.

Even though they are reasonably flexible, lying down on your side is not a good idea like with any other headphones, but you can lie down on your back without feeling any discomfort. Depending on the shape of your head they could be slightly firm in the beginning, but they don't need long to adjust. Also, if you happen to have above average sized ears, you might want to look at another model that has larger ear cups. Pro 80's ear cups are medium-sized.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Angelito » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Can't get this out of my head ffs.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:34 pm

Angelito wrote:

:clap:

Who would have thought there is a member on GW who listens to, let alone has heard about Hooverphonic?

When Geike Arnaert left the band in 2008 and it was announced the band were looking for a new vocalist it raised a lot of skepticism; most fans didn't think Hooverphonic would find a successor within the country's borders.

Eventually, in 2010 Noémie Wolfs was chosen from over a thousand candidates and it was a pleasant surprise; she doesn't try to mimic or recreate Geike's vocal range and her imploring vocal style absolutely compliments most of Hooverphonic's older songs like the one above. Not to mention her incredibly alluring stage presence.

Unless Alex and Raymond manage to pull another rabbit out of the hat, I fear Noémie's departure in 2015 could well be the final nail in the band's coffin; they work with guest singers these days and it often isn't quite the same high standard. Geike did make a one-off appearance in February last year for the first time in eight years and proved she still hasn't lost any of her feathers.

How did you discover them?
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:58 am

^ Reminds me of Portishead
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:49 am

Zenith wrote:
Angelito wrote:

:clap:

Who would have thought there is a member on GW who listens to, let alone has heard about Hooverphonic?

When Geike Arnaert left the band in 2008 and it was announced the band were looking for a new vocalist it raised a lot of skepticism; most fans didn't think Hooverphonic would find a successor within the country's borders.

Eventually, in 2010 Noémie Wolfs was chosen from over a thousand candidates and it was a pleasant surprise; she doesn't try to mimic or recreate Geike's vocal range and her imploring vocal style absolutely compliments most of Hooverphonic's older songs like the one above. Not to mention her incredibly alluring stage presence.

Unless Alex and Raymond manage to pull another rabbit out of the hat, I fear Noémie's departure in 2015 could well be the final nail in the band's coffin; they work with guest singers these days and it often isn't quite the same high standard. Geike did make a one-off appearance in February last year for the first time in eight years and proved she still hasn't lost any of her feathers.

How did you discover them?

I find Noémie Wolfs' voice sexy. It's exotic. I prefer her (Noémie) version of Mad About You. Geike's version is more pumping and Noémie's is more sultry, if you will.

My friend - who's into all sorts of music from across the globe - introduced me to them. At first, it was like - the heck. Soon enough, I was listening to them everyday. :D
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:28 am

I haven't listened to RHCP in forever. I love this video and all the tributes they do: Elvis, The Beatles, Prince, Parliament-Funkadelic, David Bowie, Sex Pistols, Misfits, Twisted Sister, and Nirvana. The video must have been a lot of fun to make.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:40 am

Brandon wrote:

I haven't listened to RHCP in forever. I love this video and all the tributes they do: Elvis, The Beatles, Prince, Parliament-Funkadelic, David Bowie, Sex Pistols, Misfits, Twisted Sister, and Nirvana. The video must have been a lot of fun to make.

It's Jimi Hendrix.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:19 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Brandon wrote:

It's Jimi Hendrix.

I was unsure whether that was him or Prince. The hair is more Prince imo, but the outfit is Jimi.

Good catch.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 am

Plus it goes in chronological order - Elvis, Beatles, Hendrix etc. Prince was the 80's.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Cripps » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 am

Bsb - quit playing games with my heart

On the way to work. One of the all time classics
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:33 pm

ZENITH

Tune! :cloud9:

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zenith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

↑ Calibre is a liquid guru.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Schlandi » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:55 am

Zenith wrote:↑ Calibre is a liquid guru.

Indeed he is. :hail:

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Sims » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:01 pm

if tears for fears or echo & the bunnymen made this tune people would be f***ing loving it

2nd best song from football after three lions imo
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby LMAO » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:55 am

Such a magnificent throwback:

I still can't decide whether I prefer FoW's version or Bowling for Soup's cover. A good number of people erroneously believe BfS's cover is the original version.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Music