General Movie Discussion Thread

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Would like to roll some discussions here..

What's the movie that changed your life? Or, two movies. Not more than two. So, please elucidate.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:19 pm

For me it's
Apocalypse now
Full metal jacket
Deer hunter
Platoon
As for frank Capra
I adore it's a wonderful life
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Angelito wrote:Would like to roll some discussions here..

What's the movie that changed your life? Or, two movies. Not more than two. So, please elucidate.

Seven
Instinct

Honorable mention: Waking Life
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Been thinking about this for a while... haven't been able to come up with an answer :/

Maybe I need some elaboration on 'changed your life' because I'm not too sure what counts
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Also, just came back from La La Land. GOAT film. I remember when I watched the trailer quite a while back and I closed the window 15 seconds into it because I already knew I was going to love it and I didn't want spoilers. Honestly it was everything I had hoped for and more
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:58 am

I don't know if any movie truly changed my life, but there have been many that have made me stop and think or where I've said, "YES! This movie gets it."

I won't consider movies adapted from novels because that's a disservice to the novels most of the time imo. So for movies not adapted from novels, hmm, probably:

The Truman Show
"We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that." That really opened my eyes growing up as to what we perceive real as and what free will can be.

In the same vein: Jacob's Ladder, The Matrix trilogy, Fight Club, Memento, The Machinist, The Butterfly Effect, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Shutter Island, Inception, Black Swan, and Cloud Atlas.

The Pursuit of Happyness

This scene (starts at 1:08). "Don't ever let somebody tell you you can't do somethin'...You gotta dream? You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. You want somethin'? Go get it. Period."

In the same vein: Rocky franchise, Rudy, Forrest Gump, The Shawshank Redemption, Good Will Hunting, October Sky, American Beauty, Remember the Titans, and Jiro Dreams of Sushi.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:27 pm

The movie that changed my life is The Reader. No doubt. Not only was it a beautiful movie, but it clicked within me.

Other movies would be In the Mood for Love, Let the Right One In, Badlands, and Castle in the Sky. Beautiful. beautiful movies that left lasting impressions on me.

starmandb wrote:For me it's
Apocalypse now
Full metal jacket
Deer hunter
Platoon
As for frank Capra
I adore it's a wonderful life

Great choices.

I adore It's a Wonderful Life. More than that, I absolutely love It Happened One Night. I'm a digger of Capra's human essence movies. So beautiful, like fairy tales.

Pudpop wrote:

Been thinking about this for a while... haven't been able to come up with an answer :/

Maybe I need some elaboration on 'changed your life' because I'm not too sure what counts

Think about it in the following ways:

- It changed your understand of life;
- Made you see new frontiers;
- It broadened your perception of life, circumstances;
- It entailed you to act in a certain way;
- Influenced you, or motivated you;
- Or, simply - it left a mark.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Lego Batman Movie

10/10

Film of the year wrapped up in February.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Angelito wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Think about it in the following ways:

- It changed your understand of life;
- Made you see new frontiers;
- It broadened your perception of life, circumstances;
- It entailed you to act in a certain way;
- Influenced you, or motivated you;
- Or, simply - it left a mark.

I'm realizing now why I was struggling with this question. I don't think any movie has had that impact on me, and I realized this because those bullets you described all made me think of music and not film. Music has always been the art that 'changed my life'.

Even when it comes to film and tv, which I love as well, I've always noticed my implicit bias toward movies and shows with amazing soundtracks. I was looking through my IMDb ratings to see which movies might make the grade for me, but I've only ever given 10 stars to 2 movies: Room and La La Land (I know, this sounds like recency bias, but hear me out).

Room, you might think, wasn't very well known for its soundtrack, but I can pinpoint the exact moment in the movie where I fell in love with it, and it was Show the spoiler
when he was on the back of the truck and saw the sky for the first time. The music at that point was breathtaking, and I mean that literally. I was genuinely breathless while I watched that scene. I'd never been that emotional during a movie before that, and I believe it had as much to do with the soundtrack as it had to do with any other facet of the movie-making involved during that scene. I think if I didn't have the same love for music while watching that it would have simply passed over my head as just another scene.

And that basically explains why I enjoyed La La Land so much. Like I said in my earlier post I turned the trailer off after 15 seconds because I already knew I was going to love it. It looked like this pretentious, colourful and light-hearted yet pseudo-deep musical about music, art and the shitty but amazing film and music industries. There were so many different themes that resonated with me.

My friend who watched it with me said that anyone who doesn't like musicals should go and watch La La Land, and they'd love musicals for the rest of their lives. Maybe that's why I don't feel it 'changed my life'. I already knew I'd love it going in, since music had already changed my life in any way that La La Land could. Had I watched this movie before being influenced by music so much, this might just have done the trick.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Angelito wrote:The movie that changed my life is The Reader. No doubt. Not only was it a beautiful movie, but it clicked within me.

Other movies would be In the Mood for Love, Let the Right One In, Badlands, and Castle in the Sky. Beautiful. beautiful movies that left lasting impressions on me.

Also, Ang, you can't start a conversation like this and then get away with a 2 line answer ;)

Come one, tell us about The Reader :)
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Pudpop wrote:I'm realizing now why I was struggling with this question. I don't think any movie has had that impact on me, and I realized this because those bullets you described all made me think of music and not film. Music has always been the art that 'changed my life'.

This.

Music and books have changed my life, a movie never has.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Cripps » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Jaws

Back when I was a kid, me and my 2 elder brothers was watching this. My eldest bro whonis a few years older said me and my other brother shouldn't watch this as we might get scared. We told him we wouldn't. Alas one of the scenes where jaws is chomping on a fine lass and my brother drags me and other to the tv and us screaming the house down will live with me forever. Never liked water since. Would love a shark though.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Pudpop wrote:I'm realizing now why I was struggling with this question. I don't think any movie has had that impact on me, and I realized this because those bullets you described all made me think of music and not film. Music has always been the art that 'changed my life'.

This.

LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Brandon wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

This.

Music is incredibly powerful and I would literally rather die if I couldn't hear my music.

I love it with a passion I can't describe.

However a great film can have an impact on you.

"Schindlers List", left me shell-shocked

"The Wicker Man", blown away by the cinematography and the dark plot..... Similarly "Get Carter"

"The Good the Bad and the Ugly" sucks you in and you can't help but enjoy the multi-layered story and wonderful soundtrack

And "Airplane" makes me laugh like a nutter
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby LMAO » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:34 am

UFGN wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

This.

Music is incredibly powerful and I would literally rather die if I couldn't hear my music.

I love it with a passion I can't describe.

However a great film can have an impact on you.

"Schindlers List", left me shell-shocked

"The Wicker Man", blown away by the cinematography and the dark plot..... Similarly "Get Carter"

"The Good the Bad and the Ugly" sucks you in and you can't help but enjoy the multi-layered story and wonderful soundtrack

And "Airplane" makes me laugh like a nutter

I read the novel before I saw the film, so the movie's impact wasn't as great as it would've been if I had watched the movie without reading the book. It's still an incredible movie, though, and deserves all the praise it receives.

I'm not downplaying the brilliance of Schindler's List, but Night had a greater impact on me, even if some of it may have been fabricated. (This is probably something for the book thread, however.)
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Films