New console war

Re: New console war

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Sims wrote:Hahahaha if this guy doesn't get the sack then he is one very lucky man:

LMAO!!

Are Microsoft even interviewing people before hiring them??

Bring on the clowns.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Zëdië wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:
Le Chat wrote:Forget the whole concept of consoles. A PC is far more effective at most aspects of gaming. It multifunctional and just a far better option to spend your hard earn pennies on.

I like both for different reasons. You get more bang for your buck with a console (in the first few years of their life anyway). It's a much better experience than an entry level PC.

true. Having put together my own gaming pc recently, i can qualify this. A top end pc costs a hell of a lot to put together when comparing to a console when looking at a purely gaming perspective.

having said that, if your a purist, some of the graphical mods you can get for PC are off the chart.

on the other hand, most of the people I would game with regularly will probably be on console so I will probably bite in the end anyway.

Itll be ps4 in any case, theres literally no reason in my eyes to go for an xbox based off the current announcements unless your dead set on an exclusive.

Should of looked in this bit of the forum before, bit late on this.

But at Zedie, if your smart with your money or get good advice its not that expensive to build a PC for gaming depending on your demand.

The most expensive down payment you'll have to make is if your starting from scratch, after that upgraded parts are not that bad when your doing it for demand.

To upgrade you can spend as little as £150 on a GPU or a CPU depending on what you actually need.

With PC's requirement is everything.

However with mine I couldn't even look at a console again.

My PC is hooked up to my £500 NAD Amplifier system which doesn't need CD's because it plays from iTunes straight to the Amp, games (ones you can't get for consoles like Total War), am able to use an Xbox controller for playing COD or BF etc, don't have TV aerial in my room so need the PC to access channels online, downloading, documents, streaming footy as I don't have Sky, all hooked up to my 32" LCD (soon to be 40").

Must have for me.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:09 pm

My brother got the Xbox, and the voice command hardly ever works, you have to say it about 4 or 5 times first before it does what it suppose to do, and sometimes doesn't do it at all.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zedie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Zëdië wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:
Le Chat wrote:Forget the whole concept of consoles. A PC is far more effective at most aspects of gaming. It multifunctional and just a far better option to spend your hard earn pennies on.

I like both for different reasons. You get more bang for your buck with a console (in the first few years of their life anyway). It's a much better experience than an entry level PC.

true. Having put together my own gaming pc recently, i can qualify this. A top end pc costs a hell of a lot to put together when comparing to a console when looking at a purely gaming perspective.

having said that, if your a purist, some of the graphical mods you can get for PC are off the chart.

on the other hand, most of the people I would game with regularly will probably be on console so I will probably bite in the end anyway.

Itll be ps4 in any case, theres literally no reason in my eyes to go for an xbox based off the current announcements unless your dead set on an exclusive.

Should of looked in this bit of the forum before, bit late on this.

But at Zedie, if your smart with your money or get good advice its not that expensive to build a PC for gaming depending on your demand.

The most expensive down payment you'll have to make is if your starting from scratch, after that upgraded parts are not that bad when your doing it for demand.

To upgrade you can spend as little as £150 on a GPU or a CPU depending on what you actually need.

With PC's requirement is everything.

However with mine I couldn't even look at a console again.

My PC is hooked up to my £500 NAD Amplifier system which doesn't need CD's because it plays from iTunes straight to the Amp, games (ones you can't get for consoles like Total War), am able to use an Xbox controller for playing COD or BF etc, don't have TV aerial in my room so need the PC to access channels online, downloading, documents, streaming footy as I don't have Sky, all hooked up to my 32" LCD (soon to be 40").

Must have for me.

Tech stiffy initiated!

Completely agree on all of the above. It was a chunk of money building my rig from scratch, but there is so much room for improvement that my PS3 literally collects dust now.

Getting an EVO 840 500Gb SSD for Christmas to transfer Win7 and my Steam/Origin library onto. Also, if i really wanted to push things, i could get a 2nd HD7970, bridge it with my current and crush any game that crosses my path!

When i think of 720p gaming max on the BRAND NEW XBOX ONE, i just cant go back.

re BF4/COD - you might struggle if using an Xbox controller v everyone on keyboard / mouse combo. Since ive been gaming on my PC (had BF3 on PS3, then got it for the PC earlier this year), the game just feels more fast paced on a PC. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once youve tweaked your custom button config, or gotten used to the keyboard layout, its on!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:40 pm

Zëdië wrote:
Tech stiffy initiated!

Completely agree on all of the above. It was a chunk of money building my rig from scratch, but there is so much room for improvement that my PS3 literally collects dust now.

Getting an EVO 840 500Gb SSD for Christmas to transfer Win7 and my Steam/Origin library onto. Also, if i really wanted to push things, i could get a 2nd HD7970, bridge it with my current and crush any game that crosses my path!

When i think of 720p gaming max on the BRAND NEW XBOX ONE, i just cant go back.

re BF4/COD - you might struggle if using an Xbox controller v everyone on keyboard / mouse combo. Since ive been gaming on my PC (had BF3 on PS3, then got it for the PC earlier this year), the game just feels more fast paced on a PC. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once youve tweaked your custom button config, or gotten used to the keyboard layout, its on!

Snap on the Samsung Evo 840, getting one for Xmas as well, I'm only getting a 250GB to use as an OS (my 60GB OCZ is practically maxed out) and to run my games, documents and iTunes off for fast loading, going to leave my film library on my 500GB HDD for now.

Yeah I know what you mean about the mouse vs controller but I can't hack it, love my controller to much as I used to have an Xbox, I just have to skill up or if needs must camp it out for a bit to get a few extra kills lol.

HD 7970? hmmm nice GPU there, tbh I prefer to run one top line GPU over dualing them for crossfire as you can sometimes get screen glitch but apparently they say they've sorted it out now, have you seen AMD's new line of R9's and R8's? such good value for money, don't know what to get next its either a GTX 760 or one of the R9's, prob gonna go AMD here, what you get for the money compared to the old series is brilliant stuff.

What CPU you running there bud?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:17 pm

nerds
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Dejan wrote:nerds

Having a PC is like doing up a custom car, it gets addictive and you get to know all the different parts etc, tech is so much part of our society now its not just nerds who know about this stuff anymore ......... just clever people. ;)

The rest just use consoles. :hiding:

Its so dumbed down they've even taken away your God given right to switch the thing on, now you just walk into a room, grunt at it like a Caveman and it just turns itself on lol.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:46 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Having a PC is like doing up a custom car, it gets addictive and you get to know all the different parts etc, tech is so much part of our society now its not just nerds who know about this stuff anymore ......... just clever people. ;)

Its so dumbed down they've even taken away your God given right to switch the thing on, now you just walk into a room, grunt at it like a Caveman and it just turns itself on lol.

lol magnificent!

"Xbox urggghhhh"

Under the hood:

i7 3770K - OC to 4.5ghz
3Gb Gigabyte HD7970
2x8 Corsair Vengeance LP RAM
Asus P8Z77-V Mobo
Noctua NH-D14 CPU fan
TX750 PSU
500Gb Seagate Barracuda HDD
120Gb Corsair Force 3 SSD
Win 7 (f**k win8!)

Soon to be joined by:

500Gb Samsung Evo 840 SSD
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:54 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

tbf to consoles, theres a lot less faffing involved, you just plug and play. However, if your one for faffing about with parts, taking things apart and generally modding things, a PC is the only way.

Theres still stuff i want to change on mine, ie the PSU / case / adding fans / SLI etc. but i dont need to, so will be patient. One thing i would always say though, is if i were going to rebuild my PC again, i would have defo used a modular PSU. Tried keeping my cabling nice and clean but it was practically impossible with all the wires coming out of my non modular TX750.

Its not exactly a mess in my case, but could have been so much better!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Zëdië wrote:Theres still stuff i want to change on mine, ie the PSU / case / adding fans / SLI etc. but i dont need to, so will be patient. One thing i would always say though, is if i were going to rebuild my PC again, i would have defo used a modular PSU. Tried keeping my cabling nice and clean but it was practically impossible with all the wires coming out of my non modular TX750.

Its not exactly a mess in my case, but could have been so much better!

For sure, I got lucky, when I was building my upgrade from my initial HP PC into a gaming platform I had a lot of very valuable help from some veteran on Toms Hardware, I was a newb at the time and basically he talked me through step by step how to build a PC and more importantly how to spec my PC.

One of those things was to buy a modular PSU, I got a Corsair CX600M.

Yeah you've got a good set up there, should have no problems at all running high settings on 1080p with that GPU/CPU.

Mines a bit embarrassing at the moment as I'm in flux of upgrading, well not embarrassing but very mediocre.

Athlon II X4 651K 3.4Ghz
Sapphire HD Radeon 7850
OCZ Petrol SSD 60GB
Seagate Barracuda HDD 500GB
Corsair CX600M
Asus f1a55-m le
8GB RAM Ballistix Elite
Win 7 (f**k win8!) - Snap, win 8 is sh*te, have to use it at work.
Cooler Master N200 Case

The reason I get away with it (play COD on Ultra) is because my 32" LSD is 720p, but when I move to the 42" it'll be 1080p and I'll prob have to look at upgrading my GPU which is where I'm looking at the new AMD R9's.

My immediate upgrade straight after January is going to be to an i5-4670k & z87 mobo, that will get me on my way, the GPU will mainly be needed when I upgrade my resolution (TV).

Take it your not moving to the new Haswell i7? I wouldn't if I were you, there is minimal difference between the Ivy Bridge gen and Haswell, only 5-10% improvement, certainly not worth splashing out on.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:34 pm

There's no need to take a shit on console gaming just because you're a newly converted PC elitist. I have been a PC gamer for over 10 years and you know what? It's still a pain in the arse and probably always will be. Developers can still f**k you around by selling products that don't actually work. When everything comes together and stuff just works, it's great. But that is sadly a rarity. Whereas on a Playstation or Xbox, with perhaps 3 exceptions I can think of (Skyrim, BF4 and Bayonetta) games "just work". No bullshit involved.

Consoles will always have a place in my life regardless of how super powerful my computer is.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Ive been a pc gamer all my life too. Had a ps1 and ps2 and thats it
I like pc gaming the most but now I just want a console so I can relax on the sofa and kick everyone's ass on fifa
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:59 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:There's no need to take a shit on console gaming just because you're a newly converted PC elitist. I have been a PC gamer for over 10 years and you know what? It's still a pain in the arse and probably always will be. Developers can still f**k you around by selling products that don't actually work. When everything comes together and stuff just works, it's great. But that is sadly a rarity. Whereas on a Playstation or Xbox, with perhaps 3 exceptions I can think of (Skyrim, BF4 and Bayonetta) games "just work". No bullshit involved.

Consoles will always have a place in my life regardless of how super powerful my computer is.

True. Also, a significant proportion of my friends and relatives are on console, becuase not everyone is as deep into PC as i am, so the social aspect is easier to engage on consoles (for me personally). Sometimes, you just dont want to update drivers, run diagnostics on your GPU, or f**k about with plug ins just to merk someone on FIFA....

You also make a good point regarding how unfinished games are on release, although i think it seems to be affecting all platforms nowadays.

It could just be a consequence of gaming now truly reaching mainstream proportions, instead of being seen as a nerdy hobby for adolecent boys back in the day. ie, the massive publishers putting unrealistic deadlines on dev teams to deliver the product on the date stated etc. when back in the day, you'd just get an announcement of a delay and had to deal with it (if you were lucky!).

All of the big title games ive played recently have been beset by issues.

BF4 was an unfinshed product on release on PC, PS3 and 360
GTAO was just broken and still does have issues on the PS3 and 360
I purposely havent bought Totalwar Rome 2 because of the huge rage surrounding the state of the game at release
I had issues even loading a mates copy of FIFA 14 onto my PS3, to the point where i still havent played it
Toyed with the idea of getting the latest Simcity until i thought id have a look and realised how broken it was on release

Gaming is reaching a new level of innovation, but with that comes corporate bullshit so ingrained, that its taking the sheen off of some major releases in exchange for ensuring the big companies get thier payday and its happening across all platforms.

Still, being a gamer to the core (probably love it as much as AFC), ill be there on any platform at any time. If you can handle it!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:06 pm

The social aspect as you mentioned is probably the second biggest reason I'll always have a Playstation around. Multiplayer can be good on PC but it's a very mixed bag. I've tried to play Castle Crashers and Trine 2 over Steam the past couple months with 2 people who live within 50 miles of me and the lag is outrageous. I just prefer to do my MP gaming on PS3, soon to be PS4. Where most of my mates are and where you can generally expect to have a fairly stable experience regardless of the game.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming