Crossing the Rubicon (The making of Roman's empire)

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

Crossing the Rubicon (The making of Roman's empire)

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:32 am

When Roman Abramovich took over Chelsea in 2003, as expected the media started to call them “Roman’s empire”, and like the giants of the classical age he wanted to create the biggest, most powerful force in the world. He started in phenomenal fashion by spending ludicrous millions on some of the highest rated talent on the planet and then he told two managers to face off in the biggest final in club football to see who gets the job.

Jose Mourinho beat Didier Deschamps’ team in the champions league final that year and got the job at the helm of this new megateam. Just like the ancient Roman army, Mourinho’s team had tactics on the field which crafted historic victories in dominant style. Two league titles, two League Cups, an FA cup and two Champions League semi final finishes were forged in three years. They also made historic records with their defensive endeavours and like the Roman army they were undefeated at home (the ancient empire only falling when it finally did lose at home…….. watch this space). Abramovich and Mourinho had painted the world blue and within 2 years Chelsea were the rulers of their domain, feared by all and had the quality and tactics to sustain their gained territory.

The senate of the old Roman republic knew that although its power and might was in the military, it was the ruling of the Empire within the accepted rules of democracy that kept it running. Most generals and legionnaires knew nothing of politics, economics and the philosophies that make a country and its empire flourish and despite the military paving the way for success it was down to the people who ran the empire to do the rest.

The Roman senate knew that any interference from the powerful military on a political level could spell disaster so they made the Rubicon river a limit for all generals and their armies to protect Rome from internal military coups. It was a law absolutely set in stone and even the powerful megarich opportunist Marcus Lucinius Crassus refused to do it due to the shame and infamy it would have bought to his name.
No army was allowed to cross the Rubicon and none did until Julius Caesar's in 49bc. A move which was the catalyst for dictatorship, it marked the end of the golden days and although the Romans were a serious power for a long time after, the stability and glamour of the empire slowly eroded, their enemies got stronger and eventually they collapsed.

At the beginning of his reign it looked like Abramovich was taking a leaf from the senator’s book. He knew that whilst he was the power and might he knew nothing of the ins and outs of the sport and how to run it so he left that to Mourinho and his staff. It reaped dividends and the success he dreamed of was actualised.

Last season despite winning both domestic cups, achieving a semi final finish in the Champions league and second place in the league, it was not enough for Abramovich. The achievements which would constitute a brilliant season for any other team were not acceptable for the new owner. He wanted everything he saw, a feat not even the classical Romans could achieve. Rather than being patient, regrouping, reforming and starting their attack again like the legendary legions of Rome did when they were in a spot of bother he did the unthinkable; he crossed the Rubicon.

He decided to get involved in areas he knew nothing about and try to influence the running of his empire himself. He sacked Mourinho who fled with his staff, he put his unqualified, inexperienced friend at the helm, demanded his off form friend Shevchenko get in the team despite there being better players and has ultimately turned his empire into a dictatorship. Just like Caesar he ousted those who had served so successfully beforehand but unlike Caesar, who actually knew what he was doing in most aspects, Abramovich does not seem to have such richness of knowledge.

Sacking the most successful manager in the clubs history and putting one in who is not even close to being qualified has astounded many, and whether it works out or not by doing so he has proved that his empire is not what he said it would be at the beginning, the greatest and most powerful in the world.
Abramovich and Kenyon want to make Chelsea bigger than Real Madrid, Man Utd and Milan (among other giants) and in order to do that they have to act like them. Buying big and winning trophies are important but the way a club conducts its business is just as important. If one asks oneself would any of the other big clubs sack their greatest coach ever after a brilliant season for a manager who nearly got Israel to the world cup? The answer will almost undoubtedly be no.

Unless they are an ex player then it is virtually always necessary for a new manager of a big club to have a winning or vastly successful record. High profile managers go to these big clubs because high profile is what these clubs are. Their managers have to have shown they are up to the job.
Nearly getting Israel to the world cup is impressive but lets say Alex Macleish nearly gets Scotland to the European Championship or even does get them there are we to expect him to be the next Real Madrid or Barcelona manager? No, not a chance and I say that with no disrespect to Alex Macleish but because he does not have the winning experience. In order to be the manager of a giant club you have to have won leagues and cups, domestic or European (or both). By appointing his friend Grant, Abramovich is sending out the message that they are not this massive club like the others but rather Abramovich’s own personal club who he dictates. He chooses the staff so long as they play who he wants to play and lets him have a say.

Mourinho did not let Abramovich tell him what to do and I imagine neither would Capello, Scolari, Wenger, Ferguson and the other great managers out there. Grant I am sure will indulge Roman Abramovich in his fantasies because his reputation holds no sway within the world of football. Whether his actions will lead to the success he wants remains to be seen but they prove that Chelsea do not have the soul of a big club nor the tradition. For every giant club out there, their name and history are bigger than any owner, any chairman, any manager and any player and that is the way it will always be. Abramovich has shown that he is bigger than anything else, he is the dictator and his will is word.

Chelsea will therefore never be a football giant in the sense which Abramovich would like. He took the drastic step which changed the Roman Empire forever and interfered at the base level. The Roman Empire remained a dominant power for another 500 years before teetering down to a much smaller scale force. Will Abramovich’s empire last as long? highly unlikely, and if he keeps making decisions like he has been making in the last 2 weeks I doubt it will last 5, let alone 500.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rvtheace » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:15 pm

Whooo!!! What a fantastic piece. Everyone has been calling them the Roman army but don't think anyone managed to paint such a surprisingly accurate analogy like you have.

It's true. Abramovich messed in areas he shouldn't have. If he continues this, it is highly unlikely they will be able to achieve any major success. The only comparable side is probably Real Madrid. But they have already established a long history of winning, so that is enough to carry them forth, despite the antics of their board.

Maybe you should try sending that in to a paper?
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Crossing the Rubicon (The making of Roman's empire)

Postby Cheese » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Great post mate.

This is why Arsenal should refrain from selling out to Usmanov because a man like Usmanov will never be happy and wont have the patients like the current Arsenal board has with Wenger and in allowing him to do it his way.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ozgooner » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:02 am

you are a gem rev , sensational work as per usual . i like rv think you should consider sending that to a paper or a football magazine . top notch stuff mate ;)

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Libertine » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:57 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:This is why Arsenal should refrain from selling out to Usmanov because a man like Usmanov will never be happy and wont have the patients like the current Arsenal board has with Wenger and in allowing him to do it his way.

As i posted inn another thread; anybody still in favour of a takeover, after seeing the nonsense that's going on down the road, neeeds their head tested.

Great article Rev. :h:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby sithlordwebb72 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:14 pm

that was FANTASTIC!

All hail the reverend!

LOVE ARSENAL? HATE USMANOV!
sithlordwebb72
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby rvtheace » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:48 pm

BTW, you should change the title to "Crossing the Rubicon (The UNmaking of Roman's empire)" ;)
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:21 pm

rvtheace wrote:BTW, you should change the title to "Crossing the Rubicon (The UNmaking of Roman's empire)" ;)

:lol: true true

Cheers for the confidence in the piece guys by saying i should send it to a paper, i appreciate the support. I might do if i felt it was worth it but my flatmate is a journalist and he has shown me what a tough and ridiculous game it is.

We do not need to risk this happening to arsenal, it is sad that it is happening to Chelsea but they only stand to lose 10 years of real history, we stand to lose coming onto 100.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cheese » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:We do not need to risk this happening to arsenal, it is sad that it is happening to Chelsea but they only stand to lose 10 years of real history, we stand to lose coming onto 100.

Sadly very true :( :?
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to Article zone